Monday 3 October 2022

Eldar Autarch Conversion



 Even more Eldar! After all this painting, I was missing doing conversions, so I thought I'd make a converted leader for my Eldar army. One of the characters you can have now is the autarch, who is a sort of super-warrior who can mix and match skills and gear from the various Eldar aspects. I thought this would give me the opportunity to build something suitably unusual.

I started with the plastic Dark Eldar archon model. It's got an interesting pose, as he's standing on a pile of rocks with his legs close together, presumably supervising his minions. I used the legs and the front of the body. The rocks had a skull and ribcage in front of them. I removed these to make the model look a bit more heroic and less sinister. 

The back of the body came from an old metal warp spider jump generator that (I think) originally came with a metal autarch model. In one of those weird "this was meant to happen" moments, it fitted perfectly with the front of the Dark Eldar body. Excellent!




The arms came from old Eldar bits. The right arm and weapon were from a Shining Spear conversion kit (they're an aspect who ride jetbikes and carry lances) and the left came from an extremely old Guardian part that was lying in the bits box. The pistol is from a Dark Eldar wytch, but looks quite like a standard Eldar fusion pistol. 

Her head was an old Wood Elf part. It's got an odd plate on the left side, presumably as armour, which I painted up to match her body armour.

Painting-wise, I tried to incorporate some of the colours I've used on other Eldar units, to suggest that she has studied all of them: she's got purple hair like a Warlock, a white Warp Spider backpack, blue Guardian armour and a green/blue fade on her rear insignia, like the heads of the dreadnoughts that I've made.






Now the army has a leader! I've got plans to do more warlocks and a farseer or two as well. Watch this space elf...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome conversion! Happy to see someone else test the theory that you can easily convert a Dark Eldar to a good one. Great coloring! Really ties the army together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I think you can convert a dark Eldar to a good one, provided you lose some of the spikes and skulls, and keep the shape "clean". Probably a bit like turning a chaos marine into a fancy normal one. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is a very nice conversion! I appreciate how all the Eldar stuff seems to fit together well. I have some guardians using Dark Eldar bitz, and it works out nicely, so much so that I am considering getting the new corsairs and mixing them with some random Dark Eldar bodies I have lying around.

    I wonder about using the lance on foot though... maybe she micro jumps with the spider pack and stabs people that way? it certainly looks cool on the model though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back pack looks great!

    ReplyDelete