Sunday 19 May 2024

All The Old Harlequins - Painted At Last!





Do you like Eldar harlequins, especially small metal ones? Then this is the post for you! A long time ago, I started repainting a few harlequins that I bought some time in the dark ages (one of them seemed to date back from me being 14 or so - that's three decades). Then, as my painting became more confident and I enjoyed painting them more, I got a few extra ones. And then I decided to collect the set. And here they are.

This is the first batch, which I started during the pandemic. My painting wasn't quite as good back then, and I might go back and tidy them up.





And here are some more...





 





All of these guys were damaged in some way and needed repairs. I think they're okay and work fine.



Here are some special characters, in the form of an avatar (whatever that is) and three death jesters, who look as if they are about to do the voodoo hoodoo that you don't dare do, people (yes, I did grow up in the 90s!).



This is the shadow seer, who is basically a wizard for the group.



This is a better shot of the avatar. I painted him very recently. I aimed for a black and white look inspired by Pierrot clowns, but hadn't factored in how difficult black and white are to paint. So I added some colour to him, including some shading on his guns.







And last of all is my favourite and the most recent. This is the high avatar, the leader of the entire unit. I spent ages on this model, as I wanted him to look particularly dramatic and insane. I am really pleased with the result. I think he might be the best thing that I've ever painted.






And that's that! All 32 of the old harlequin models, done and dusted. I've seen enough checks for now.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely old school, wonderfully painted, and something missing with all the modern 'quins I've seen. You absolutely nailed the look of these guys! Wonderful work Toby! A force to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It took a while but I got there. I love all the fiddly details on these older models: there's something slightly crazy about the sculpts that the newer ones don't have. Perhaps it's just that there's more variety in the old models. Anyhow, cheers!

      Delete
  2. Damn, everything is beautiful. I remember the Troupe being mustered, but seeing the whole thing together is fantastic, and this last one is the icing of the cake, what a glorious work. Congratulations, Toby, this is quite an achievement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's much appreciated! I'm definitely going to paint something easier now. I did want to end on a high note, so lots of checks and blends seemed right. This is the first time I've collected a set of any miniatures!

      Delete
  3. congratulations! Really good work, and obviously a lot of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been an interesting painting experience. I will be avoiding checks for a little while now!

      Delete
  4. These are excellent! Love the vibrant colours and the fantastic patterning. Love the high avatar's coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I really liked painting the bright colours. I knew that the high avatar needed to be especially outlandish!

      Delete
  5. Inspiring work. I'm a bit awestruck. I have most of the ancient harlequins somewhere in storage, some of them primed and splotched with my failed attempts at checks. I'm almost tempted to pull them out and try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Having seen your other models I reckon you could do a really good job of the harlequins. I found that once I'd got used to drawing tiny grids on the models, it helped a lot.

      Delete