Sunday 16 October 2022

Farseer

 Back to the Eldar! One of my favourite old metal Eldar models is the farseer. He's a sort of enhanced warlock, who has extremely powerful psychic powers (at least, in the background). As far as I know, only one sculpt of this chap was made back in the blue catalogue days. I think he's a Jes Goodwin model.

Like the warlocks, he's an excellent miniature with a good mixture of flat spaces and detail. He's less of an action sculpt than his minions, and he has a massive helmet that makes him seem rather little. I put my farseer on a slightly bigger, higher base than his warlocks, just to emphasise his importance.

I didn't make any conversions and I painted him to reflect the other Eldar. I tried to incorporate all the various colours I've used, so he has the dark red of the warlocks, and a bit of the blue-green I used on the dreadnoughts. His eyes were painted using the same Turbo Dork paint that I used on the Warp Spiders, to represent the magical energies reflected in the lenses (he's probably seen some sights).








I'd originally intended to paint his outer robe with a very swirly psychedelic pattern, but then I realised that this was beyond me, and so I went for blue with some little dots, like a fancy kimono. The rules on his scabbard were taken from an old Eldar codex: I feel that they could do with a bit "more", but I'm not sure what.




And here he is with his bodyguards.






4 comments:

  1. One of my all time favorite Eldar models! Wonderful job painting him. I particularly like the robe and the patterning you did on it! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like the model too. He's not how I'd imagine a space elf wizard, with his strange helmet, but he's a classic miniature!

      Delete
  2. What an iconic mini and what an awesome work. The robe is pure genius, and the lenses of the helmet are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He's very iconic, I agree. The lenses are purely down to the paint I used, and the robe was a weird spur of the moment idea that actually paid off!

      Delete