At long last, I've assembled (almost) all the Eldar mounted guns that I've got bits for. It was something of a process of trial and error, but here we go.
First up is a very old d-cannon, as advertised in Rogue Trader, with what seem to be the appropriate crew. This looks quite unlike the other Eldar big guns, and could be just a generic sci-fi weapon. I suspect that it comes from a time when GW hadn't quite got the look of the Eldar figured out yet.
I had the gun itself and the bottom of the stand, but I'd hacked up the connecting part many years ago. So, I improvised with bits and pieces. As ever, converting is a matter of working out the shapes that you need, rather than the actual parts: Eldar stuff is sleek and rounded, so I used bits that suggested that, largely left over from the plastic guardians kit. I recommend keeping any leftover parts from kits, especially bits of plastic tube like gun barrels that could be used for connecting things.
Next we've got the old metal plasma gun, as seen before on this website. I reckon looking at hovering laser cannons is what Eldar rednecks do in their spare time, when not driving their grav-pickups (more on this in a later post).
The third gun is called Mary Lou - no wait, it's an old metal d-cannon. Unlike the gun at the top, this one looks much more Eldarish, with the elegant gun-shield and base with engines at the back and a curved prow. This one also dates back to Rogue Trader days.
Now we've got the starcannon from the guardian plastic set. Nothing to see here, just two space elves with a huge laser gun, whooping in a sophisticated manner.
And finally (at last!) I made up a brightlance (that's an Eldar lascannon to me). You get a lot of big guns to choose from in the guardians set, along with a spare gun shield. It seemed a shame to waste them, especially since I had so many crew, so I bought a spare metal base from ebay for a few pounds.
However, connecting the gun and its base was harder than I'd expected. I built a connecting piece out of sprue, which is good for adding bulk to conversions. By pure luck, it happens that the base piece had a hole in it, where the gun mount would fit if I had one. The hole was just the right size for one of those little cylindrical pegs that you get on the top of some bits of sprue (I think this is where they cut it out of the moulds, or something like that). I added little bits and bobs to the sprue to make it look more Eldar-esque.
And here it is painted!
So that's my high-tech Napoleonic cannon-line finished!