Monday 29 April 2024

How Do I Get Better At This?


Here is the first picture I ever posted on this blog, back in April 2016 - eight years ago! He was a conversion of a Privateer Press model called Saxon Orrik, who I renamed Algebra Flaps and used as the leader of my Necromunda gang, the Terror Bird Cavalry (it's a long story).




Actually, he's not bad. There's a lot of detail, and I painted him in rather drab colours. And back then my camera was even worse than my current one. 

Since then, I've improved a lot, and I've done models that I'm proud of, like these guys:







I think my painting's got better, both in terms of detail and accuracy, and also in having an idea of what works in a model. However, I'm not sure how to get much better from here.

For one thing, I still don't know how to take reliably decent photos. I've never been able to make much of online advice on this, and trial and error hasn't yielded a reliable system that works each time. My current method is to take half a dozen pictures with my phone and keep the least awful one. I live in the (probably optimistic) view that my models would look much better if I could just work out how to photograph them.

I also find it tricky to progress with painting. A lot of online miniature painting is of near Golden Demon quality, probably by people who earn a living at it or people who are professional artists in some other medium. It can actually be pretty offputting to see how good other people's work is: I think you learn more from people who are a couple of notches better than people who are basically painting the Sistine Chapel in 28mm scale.

It doesn't help that I'm not very interested in learning how to do non-metallic metal, and I don't want to buy an airbrush. I'd like to be able to paint like the old 'Eavy Metal articles that I used to look at when I was younger, which means 28mm SFF models.


So, does anyone have any suggestions? I've leaned a hell of a lot following the people in the list on the right, and I'm very grateful to the people who have commented on my work (Suber and Hobbs in particular!). But if anyone's got any ideas of how to improve, please do let me know.


9 comments:

  1. Toby, you are doing some outstanding work. Your conversions are top notch, and your painting is certainly better than mine! That said, if you want to progress a bit I'd suggest Tabletop Minions. Generally he paints things for tabletop status, but he is always looking to experiment and improve as well. He's even recently joined up with the Army painter studio team. I really like his vibe as his main goal is help get more people into the hobby. He also hangs out with a few award winning painters... so their tips tend to rub off and work their way into his toolbox.

    As for pictures... your guess is as good as mine. I've tried one of those halo lights for my phone... I bought one of those little photo booths from amazon... I also mess around with effects in google photos. Yet I also think my photos have much to be desired. Tabletop minions takes great photos; but he also went to school for that sort of thing. He's got some videos on how to improve with your phone... but heck if I can figure it all out.

    Wish I could be more help... but I think you are past my own skills sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - that's both complimentary and very useful! I've had a look at Tabletop Minions, and he seems like a very sensible guy. I think the kind of advice he's giving: it's achievable and not too complex.

      I really can't figure the photo thing out at all. I'm basically taking a photo and trying to make the best of it, but I do wonder if a tripod and the like would help. It's really hard to tell. I suspect that if I bought a load of stuff I wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it!

      Thanks again for your ideas and compliments!

      Delete
    2. Go check out a dollar store; or a "pound shop" over there. They probably have some cheap things like a tri-pod you could use without breaking the bank. We have a shop over here called Five and Below that always has a selection of stuff like that for phones, since selfies and video sites are so popular. It's where I got my ring light. If anything works you could always invest more.

      I do recommend a stabilizer of some sort. Even if just resting it on a book.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I've got a small tripod now - it's pretty cheap and crappy but it does stabilise the phone. But I just can't get a decent picture. I don't think it's my phone in particular. It's frustrating, but I can't think of how to improve the situation. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I can provide any better suggestion than Hobbs here, as I really relate to everything you said on the post. I swear that my minis look better in person than in my pics!! And I've never been able to improve them to a substantial, visible point.
    My progress on painting skills is slow too. I mean, if I look at minis I painted 20 years ago, it's quite evident that I've improved, sure, but I kind of reached a point in which I seem to be... stuck wouldn't be the word; maybe a point in which any progress is not immediately perceived. Just as you say, I lack the time/patience/will to take a professional leap, actually "learn" and truly devote myself to spend a whole month on a 28mm model. I don't really aim to that level, as I just do this as a mere hobby. I'm in my comfort area and I'm happy with that. That said, I'm always looking for (small, sizeable) challenges and I love seeing other people's works, I constantly learn from everyone out there! The way you envision projects or choose palettes (just to say a couple of words about your specific work) is fantastic, and I love being part of this blogging community. So I cannot but cheer you! Endure! Persevere! Keep on doing your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I know what you mean about improving: I feel that I've sort of plateaued, and it's difficult to get much better without drastically changing my style. I have got much faster at painting, though, which is weird.
      Thanks about the colours! I do enjoy small projects (I really want to do some old-school orks now) and the whole colour thing is very interesting. I'll keep on going!

      Delete
  3. Like others have said, I think your output is great! I made 3 changes that really improved my photography that you could try:

    1. Improve your lighting. I use two desk-mounted anglepoise lamps with white bulbs, each at angled at 45 degrees to the subject.

    2. Use a neutral background. I use a sheet of 2mm mid-grey hobby foam. By placing the figures on the sheet and curving it up behind them, you remove the hard line from two flat surfaces at 90 degrees.

    3. Try some scenic shots. You could make a little backdrop or put some scatter terrain behind your figures. I generally find that my scenic shots look the best and get the best reactions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Axiom - much appreciated! I'll have to give those tips a try. Something seems off with my lighting - some models (especially orks and very pale skin) come out very badly, while bright blues and reds tend to look ok. I've got a book of backdrops, but I've also wondered about making my own background models. Another possible project!

      Delete
    2. No worries, good luck. I've also got a book of backgrounds- really useful!

      Delete