Tuesday 15 February 2022

Random Fantasy Folk

 Once again I've been trying to actually finish some of the models that I've had knocking around, largely to make some space on my painting table for the unit of cyberpunk elf soldiers I've been planning. I've been working on these guys on and off for the last few weeks.

First up is a Black Scorpion female Landsknecht that I bought at an event last year. As with all their stuff, the sculpting is excellent. The pose really suits her fancy outfit and equipment. I find the casting of their models to be very crisp, which can make the details quite hard to paint, somehow. Anyway, I like the model and I've got a few more of their things to make, too.




Then there are some metal giant rats. Giant rats are handy, as they can fit in with space and fantasy games. These ones are mutant rats from Necromunda, and are very old models. They're good sculpts, though, and look suitably mangy and unwholesome. No doubt the skaven will use them as attack dogs (or possibly dinner).




The next three models are a bit random. They consist of (left to right) a female berserker who came free with an order from Dice Bag Lady; a werewolf I found at the local gaming shop; and a Goth chieftan sold by Warlord Games.

They all had little tab bases, so I stuck them onto normal bases and smoothed out the ground with DAS clay. The two humans were unconverted. The werewolf was from a range called Nastiez or something like that, and was pretty cheap. He's clearly an old model and I found him quite hard to assemble. I ended up using a fair bit of green stuff and pinning the joins. His right hand was a bit weedy-looking, as was the axe that he was waving in the air, so I replaced it with a hand and weapon from a space ork.




Here are the two humans. They were fairly easy to paint, although the camera has washed out the details somewhat. The woman is slightly plump, and the man is really tall - by the usual standards of Warlord models, he'd be massive. They remind me of both Vikings and Asterix.




And then the werewolf. I went for a grey-brown look to his skin/shorter fur, highlighting with pale skin. The shaggier fur was grey highlighted with bone. His axe was painted metal and washed several times with black. I really like this technique for dirty weapons: it produces some interesting effects.

Given that he was a cheap old model that was a pain to assemble, I'm really pleased with the way that he's come out.





2 comments:

  1. Nice stuff, but I'm particularly in love with the first one. I've seen some Black Scorpion minis before (only in pics, never in hand) and they look fantastic, nice to have a review of someone who actually owns one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Almost all of Black Scorpion's stuff is really good. I'd strongly recommend their range. They use resin, which I don't especially like, but otherwise it's excellent. For some reason I find it hard to take decent pictures of anything they make - coincidence, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete