Wednesday 22 February 2023

A Cat and a Question

 Here's a cat I made to go with the Eldar. It started off as a metal leopard from the game Bushido that I bought ages ago. I enlarged the ears with green stuff, but otherwise it's unconverted. I was under the impression that Grynx - psychic cat-things from 40k that seem especially connected to the Eldar - were blue. Apparently, they aren't, but what the heck. It was a very quick paint job, and while the highlighting could be more extreme, I'm happy with it (and glad I finally found a use for that model).




So, I have a question. I've got some old metal Howling Banshees and Swooping Hawks. Being ancient models, they've got metal tabs across the bottom of their feet. They're all meant to be very athletic, which means that the points of contact with the ground are very small (basically, they're on tiptoe).


Like this


If I use my standard bases, so they're in keeping with the rest of the army, I'll have to cut the tabs off, which will make them very hard to connect to the bases. However, if I use slottabases (as was intended for these models) I'll probably have to use flock on the bases, which will be different to the rest of the army.

Which option should I go for?

8 comments:

  1. I cut off the tabs on my swooping hawks, or reduced the tab to a pin on some of them. I thought about using two part epoxy glue to connect them to the base, but ultimately just used superglue as normal. Time will tell how stable it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about sticking rocks to the back of the Hawks' feet. The trouble is, they've got their toes pointed like ballerinas. Maybe if I could get some suitably Eldarish bits of rubble?

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, what a conundrum. Is there any way to cut a little incision in the bases? Let me explain my idea: You may cut the tab, but not totally, leaving just a little bit under the foot. Then cut an incision in the base and fit the tab in it. Does it seem feasible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that for some Privateer Press models and it worked out quite well. I did wonder about pinning the banshees to the base but the feet are actually too small! The amount of contact is tiny. I'll have a think...

      Delete
  3. I like the blue cat a lot. It's very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I can't remember why I bought it in the first place, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out. It's a nice sculpt, and I find blue quite easy to shade.

      Delete
  4. The cat looks great, Toby! I would cut of the joint and put the banshee on your usual bases using green stuff. Works great for me in most cases. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Skully. I think I've got a plan forming...

      Delete