Saturday 30 September 2023

Two Renegade Robots

 The great thing about this whole Stargrave project (for me at least) is that it doesn't really have to end. I can just keep on making little space people until I go a bit mad. I also really like the creative freedom it gives. Warhammer is fine, but you can get a bit bored with skulls and purity seals (I always read that as "purty seals" like a redneck at an aquarium).

So, here are two robot weirdos, with not a sepia wash in sight. On the left is a plastic 40k chaos cultist, who seems to be partly inspired by Furiosa from Mad Max. I replaced her left hand, which was basically a hook, with a hand from the Stargrave kits. Her head is from a biker sprue for the game Project Z, which was a zombie survival thing that Warlord Games used to sell. She looks like a damaged and possibly renegade android, who has had to make basic repairs before she can acquire some new artificial skin.




The big red chap on the right is an oddity that I found in the bargain bucket at my local games shop for about one pound. I think he's a leftover from the Prodos version of Warzone. He had a strange, tiny head, which I replaced with a strange, large head from a 40k chaos tank sprue. He's an incredibly detailed model, covered in pipes and cables, all of which feel unnecessary. Sometimes, simple is good. Anyhow, I warmed to the model as I painted it and now I'm quite pleased with the result. He'd make a nice Stargrave warbot.

Incidentally, I've just got a new phone, and I'm still figuring the camera out, so apologies if these pictures are actually worse than the usual ones!


*


If you like Mordheim or Assassin's Creed, check out my Dark Renaissance novels HERE

4 comments:

  1. Oh, both are tremendously cool! Those bits fit in the cultist mini better than I had thought, especially the head :O
    The headswap on the bot is awesome too, I love the sharky, predator look it has now. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they were very random purchases but I did enjoy making them! I suspect that headswaps are really important in converting models.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing some robots as I've been on a bit of a robotic kick myself. Very cool additions for Stargrave. I really like how you pull parts out I've never thought of and make it work. In this case the head from the Chaos tank bits. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I've always found the converting to be at least as fun as painting. With the red guy a normal helmet didn't work, but the animal-type tank bit looked cool. And I like robots!

      Delete