Wednesday 2 March 2022

A Chaos Marine Standing Around

This week's been fairly quiet, but for some reason I thought it would be interesting to make a chaos space marine standing around doing nothing. That would mean cutting his legs so that he'd be standing upright, instead of bracing for recoil and/or close combat.

I found some very old marine legs and cut and repositioned them. They were tidied up with green stuff.





I added a plasticard "washer" on top of the legs to make the marine a little bit taller.




Then I found a torso, also from a loyalist marine. The left arm was from a chaos marauder, and the right was a random piece that was in the bits box, probably from a fantasy model. It had a suitably barbaric fur trim, which I tidied up with more green stuff. The backpack and head were both chaos bits (I turned the vents on the backpack, for variety).

The axe-head on the right arm is from a Privateer Press model. I hacked the model up years ago for Necromunda, and kept the blade of its axe. It looked just right for this kind of guy.




The extra plate on his thigh came from a Kroot warrior, and was needed to widen his slightly spindly waist. The symbol dangling over his groin came from the chaos cultist with flamer model that I cut up last year. I knew it would come in useful! 


And now for paint.




So there he is, a chaos warrior taking a break from ripping and tearing to consider who to rip and tear next. I like this guy.

I wonder if my camera is starting to break. I know that my painting isn't getting worse, but it seems harder and harder to get a half-tolerable photo of anything I make. It's quite annoying.

3 comments:

  1. I share your pain about taking pics :D
    The conversion is totally ace. It's nice to see something different than the usual battle poses. Lovely work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I like the idea of this guy just standing about looking menacing. Getting the legs to stand straight was surprisingly tricky! Chaos is great because every so often you can just make another loony to join the horde of mutated weirdos.

    I find the camera issue frustrating. Maybe it's my crap eyesight, but quite often I'll finish a miniature, take a picture and think "My God, that looks awful!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the modeling you put into this guy. Not everyone needs to be in an action pose, and I think current models are going a bit extreme there...

    Great work! Love the colors. Also I agree, camera stuff is the hardest part of blogging! I'm trying a light box and iphone camera. Working better after reading a stark white background messes with the focus, but still tough.

    ReplyDelete