Friday 11 March 2022

Chaos Marine Conversions (Yet Again!)

I've been running low on Chaos Marine bits, which means that I've had to improvise with pieces from the bits box. I thought I'd put some marines together with whatever I had to hand.

The first chap had a pair of loyalist marine legs, and a body which, I think, comes from a fantasy Khorne knight. His head was from a plastic cultist, and his arms were from a very old GW zombie. The zombie had rather odd proportions, and so the model has rather huge fists. But that's chaos for you.




In order to make the legs a bit more detailed, I found an old bit from the Kroot warriors boxed set. It's a set of blades held together with string (I think) and it fitted the butcher/executioner feel of the rest of the model. I had to trim it down a bit, but it went together quite well.




The second chaos marine had the upper body and left arm from an old metal champion, from the havoc set. I liked the look of the head, with its wires and lenses. I gave him plastic legs and a right arm. Every unit needs a bloke pointing out the location of the enemy, after all.







 Now, it's well-known that girls are not allowed in the Space Marine treehouse. However, it's interesting that some of the new Warhammer Chaos warriors are female. Also, it's established Oldhammer that "face of a daemonette" was one of the gifts dished out by the chaos gods: there are old metal marines with heads like that.

Of course, I don't give a toss about most of the fluff, especially the bits that people get angry about on the internet, so I stuck a daemonette head onto a marine body. I used the metal legs from the havoc spotter above. I placed a bit of cork under one of the feet for a suitably dramatic pose. The arms, shoulder pads and gun came from the new plastic chaos marines. They're really well-sculpted.




I like this model particularly: the small head works well with the big shoulder pads. Some of the shading on her face has been lost in the photo, and I realise that I forgot to paint the strap on her magazine, but I like her.

3 comments:

  1. I do like them! About the Daemonette one, when I saw the pic of the unpainted mini I thought "isn't that head a bit too little for the model?", but on the other pic, once painted, I find the mini truly inspiring. Pretty nice work on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the 40k equivalent of "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" I did wonder if it was going to work, but I think it's made the model look bigger overall. That said, the new arms are slightly large on the old bodies, and I put on some particularly hefty shoulder pads. I do like converting these old models - I've got the old Chaos codex with the yellow cover, which is full of suitably crazy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your conversions look. Very cool uses of parts to make them unique to your army. Great work!

    ReplyDelete