Tuesday 15 March 2022

Some Kind of Inquisitor



Inquisitor Tiberian Lazarus - Bob to his friends - has fought many battles in the Emperor's name. On New Dunstable, he lost his left leg to the dreaded Bone Pirates. On Pelvus IV, his arms were removed by the Slaanesh lord Thrustus the Discomforter, shortly before Lazarus headbutted him to death. Finally, during a skirmish with Tyranids, the inquisitor lost all sense of taste, which is probably why he then painted his armour purple and blue.


I didn't manage to get much done this week, but I picked up a model that I bought off the internet very cheaply a while ago, with a view to converting. It's an old metal techmarine, and the reason I got it so cheaply is that it was missing its backpack, right hand and, er, a leg. I thought it would be an interesting challenge to make a new leg for the model.

I got on with doing that, using various bits and pieces for the new leg. The end of the boot came from a Warlord Games Roman shoulder pad: it had a good plated, ridged effect that fitted the rest of the model quite well. Most of the rest of the leg was Chaos bits and bobs: one of those ball-shaped backpack vents became the knee joint, and the handles of some old weapons worked as the "bones" of the leg. 

After that, I realised that the proportions weren't quite right, so I made this guy a tabard/loincloth out of a flat piece of Green Stuff. I'd originally thought of him as just some random, if rather bionic, marine, but he was starting to seem more important. Perhaps he was a psyker. I gave him a mechanical right hand from, oddly, a Mantic ghoul, and put a burning (or maybe gassy) globe into it, which I think might have snapped off a plague marine long ago. Hmm. A combi-weapon seemed more impressive than his bolt pistol.





He needed a backpack. For one thing, I've never much liked the techmarine backpacks, but I wanted to give him something unusual. So, I looked about and found the faceplate from a Knight Armiger. It fitted perfectly! I added that and got to painting.



I wanted to do something different, and not to paint him in colours that marked him out as tied to any particular job or side. So I ended up with a weird mixture of blue and purple, with red bits. It's impressive, but it does make him look like a 1970s gangster chose his outfit.

I wondered about putting grass on his base, but that seemed a bit dull after all that, so I sculpted some small flagstones. I'm actually not sure I like these very much, but it was the best thing I could think of, and it just wouldn't be practical to remove him from his existing base and put him onto a scenic one.



So there he is! One of my better models, although I'm still not sure what I've made. Perhaps he's an Inquisitor. Let's settle for that.







6 comments:

  1. That face plate makes an amazing backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool! When I saw the first pic it was like " Oh, I think I know that model, but... no, I'm not sure". Then I realised I even own that mini! So your conversion looks so cool it even deceived my eye! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By your title and the pose, I thought it really was one of the inquisitor models. So it's a fantastic conversion. I really like how you fit some random bits all together to make a seamless model. He'd also fit well with my marines. They in purple armor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! The backpack was pure coincidence and fluke!

    My usual approach to conversions like this is to heap as much stuff as possible on the model until it's pretty unrecognisable. I was quite looking forward to making a mechanical leg (I've not done that before) and it went on from there! I really enjoy finding the right bits and sticking them on. I've never painted a purple marine before - looking back he does look a bit like a genestealer magus. Can you have genestealer hybrid marines?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Officially, I have no idea if you can have genestealer hybrid marines. I made a few years ago though, so I approve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sounds of that! I think the Hive Mind could figure out a way. Apparently the Hive Guard are based on space marines, or they were the last time I read a tyranid codex.

    ReplyDelete