Monday 2 January 2023

The Last Viper/Venom/Vitriol Jetbike!

 I've finally finished my squad of not-Viper jetbikes for my Eldar! I've had this final model on sprues for at least two years, at the back of a cupboard. Since one of my new year's resolutions is to stop buying (so many) miniatures, I dug it out and got to work.

It got the same conversion job as the others, with the front lamp/sensor replaced with the barrel of a plastic shuriken cannon. I left off all the Dark Eldar-type additions, as well as the crew, to keep the lines as smooth as possible.

Then it was just a matter of painting it. I went for the same blue scheme as with the other two, fading at points into purple. However, for this machine I painted part of the canopy in a similar manner to the dreadnought that I did at the end of last year, modelled on Chris Foss' spaceship art. I reckon that this colour scheme might represent a unit leader or an ace.

The canopy itself got the same "reflected landscape" design as the other flyers. I deliberately left the edges of the canopy entirely yellow, instead of adding black stripes, so it would stand out a bit.

And, well, that's pretty much it! I really like these things. I'm very pleased with the conversion. Given that it's a different sort of machine, and given that Venoms and Vipers are both named after poisonous things, I think I'll christen these models of flyer the "Vitriol", which is an old word for acid. 



The brown mark on the canopy is a reflection, by the way.



And here's the entire squad. Neeeeeow!





8 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking jetbikes! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the markings on this one. The blending from yellow to read is great, and the striping is very reminiscent of both your inspiration and Rogue Trader Space Elves! Love the canopy too. I may have to borrow that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did wonder if it was really working, as the contrast between the red/yellow and the blue was very strong, but I'm glad I persisted. It does look sort of Rogue Trader now I think of it, which is a lucky coincidence! Feel free to borrow the canopy idea!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome beyond measure. The retro aspect of it is pure love, it feels like those artworks by Chris Foss or the like. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It took a long time to do, but I'm glad I did it! I've really enjoyed this eldar project. I'm now looking thoughtfully at a grav-tank...

      Delete
  4. Lovely! The Eldar really could use a vehicle like this... maybe in 10th edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still surprised that there isn't one list for all the eldar. But maybe in 10th!

      Delete