Friday 13 January 2023

Strange Tyranid Creatures

 Time for some more tyranid weirdness. I bought a copy of Shadow War: Armageddon off ebay this week. It's a skirmish game, in which small teams of orks, Imperial Guard and space marine scouts fight it out in the ruins of the hive-world Armageddon. It was released in 2017, but feels like something from a long way before that. 

While SWA sounds like it should be like Kill Team (actually, SWA sounds like it should be an early 90s rap band), it's actually based on the rules for the original version of Necromunda, slightly streamlined and slimmed down. I really like the idea of a skirmish game involving lots of different species, although in the only game I ever played of SWA, a force of orks was utterly wiped out by harlequins, which suggests some balancing issues.

Anyhow, if you're mental enough, you can take a squad of tyranids! To my surprise, this involves just the big tyranids. I've already got three oldhammer warriors painted up, and the list allows you to take a "gunbeast", which I assume is meant to be a warrior with a heavy weapon. However, I thought this was a nice opportunity to make something more unusual.

I dug out a really old metal model for the game Epic. This was the oddly-named "tyranid dominatrix" (there's a mental image for you), a sort of massive armadillo-type thing with a big gun on its back and a little dude who looks suspiciously like the dead space jockey from Alien (before Ridley Scott ruined it all, but that's a different sad story). It's much more animalistic than the warriors, but then a lot of the Epic tyranid models were wacky to the point of daftness.







Next up, some very little critters. The original tyranid army list was quite interesting: it was published in White Dwarf and allowed you to take all sorts of odd stuff, including genestealer hybrids and several hundred points from any other army (they were mind-controlled, you see). It also allowed you to take swarms of goofy-looking squigs. These were soon replaced by ripper swarms, which feel much less silly and more alien, and the squigs went back to being purely ork-related.

Here are some of the creatures from the squig swarm, which I've probably had lying around for 20 years or so. I don't think they have separate rules. They were such charming models that I thought they deserved separate bases.

This little guy is largely made of legs and teeth. I painted him in an unwholesome flesh colour, rather like the facehugger in Alien, and dotted in his pupils so that he would be looking upward - either at his owner or, more likely, at his next meal.





The next animal looks rather like a cross between an ork and a slug. The very orky face inspired me to paint him green - a bit brighter than I'd usually do ork skin - and the blue hairdo just seemed to contrast nicely. I expect he crawls around, eating whatever unwholesome things he can find, probably leaving a trail of slime.







This little creature is perhaps the most wholesome of the three, but it's a close thing.





First contact!





6 comments:

  1. At least that Marine is wearing a helmet! Nice to see the dominatrix and other old figures brought back out.

    I have played a couple of games of SWA, which I enjoyed, although if you want anything even slightly off the lists provided it gets a little kludgy. The FLGS has a stack of the books, I should get one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they were all fun models to paint, especially the little squig things.

      SWA does look interesting, but as with a lot of these games, it's hard to know if the wackier sides are properly balanced. Only one way to find out!

      Delete
  2. This is a post of awesome! Love the various creatures you painted up here. The squigs are always great for some fun. Really love the idea of using that epic mini as a "gun beast" very cool!

    You have me looking at Shadow War again. I thought about it in the past... I think I'll still hold off as there's plenty to play, but it still has me interested with the old Necromunda rules as a base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it was good to dig out these really old models and have another go at them. It's a shame that there aren't more GW models for generic "space animals", especially since squigs are very much one shape now.

      Shadow War is probably worth a look. As I say, there may be some balancing issues, but for a casual but reasonably complex game it could be fun.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, this post is pure love! I find the work on the big armadillo fantastic, but those little buggers really made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There should be more models like them!

      Delete