Thursday 15 December 2022

Dire Avengers

 Back to the Eldar! Here are the first five of a ten-elf squad of Dire Avengers. Dire Avengers are the most boring of the aspect warriors: they're essentially guardians who have better armour and can shoot straight (and don't get support weapons). They've also got impressive hats, but really compared to being a teleporting spider or the Grim Reaper with a missile launcher, that doesn't count for much.

These are Jes Goodwin sculpts from the good old days. They're cool. It's usual to put black stripes on the helmet crests, but to be honest I was so pleased at having painted yellow that didn't look like mud, I decided to leave the stripes off. Remind me not to shade white into grey again.




5 comments:

  1. Thanks! It was quite tricky to make the transition look smooth - much harder than I'd expected. I suppose a lot of avengers have roughly similar colour schemes, with small variations. That said, just after taking the picture I dropped one of them on the floor, and now I'm mending him. Very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful. Your vibrant colours make them stand out, they look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I'm enjoying using different, brighter colours for this army. I feel as if I've been working up to it - it's definitely harder than the usual sludge!

      Delete
  3. Looking good! White to grey turned out well. What do you use for that?

    I never got any of these fellows, considering the plastic ones "good enough"... until I started painting the plastic ones.. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a white and a light grey from MP Miniature Paints, which are thin and quite cheap. I blended them together and tidied it up with a lot of white glazes.

      The plastics seem to be based on the plastic guardians, which aren't the best models ever. I really like all the first run of aspect warriors. For old models made in a flat mould, they're very stylish and dynamic.

      Delete