Thursday 8 December 2022

Clock Tower Terrain

 I've been working on various projects for a while now, but it was inevitable that, sooner or later, I'd be drawn back to my fantasy town. It's like the village from The Prisoner: nobody leaves for long. 

I saw that TT Combat were selling off some old MDF buildings. One was a clock tower, which was going for the king's ransom of £4. I bought one and got to work putting it together - and making a few changes, of course. It's meant to look like this:



First of all, I added a plastic Mantic door. Then I gave the tower a roof made of cardboard tiles, instead of MDF. For texture, I cut a few brick shapes out of thin plasticard and stuck them over some of the original laser-etched bricks, so they'd stand out more. 

The rear got a plant made from a random metal part that I got in a job lot of bits a while ago. I added gargoyle-type things to the top of the lower layer, taken from two Lord of the Rings Rohan houses. They're fish-shaped, which by chance, is the symbol of Mordheim. The roof got some spikes that I found in a craft shop. I'm not sure what they're for.




I smoothed out some of the more obvious MDF elements with DAS clay. The MDF hands on the clock face were replaced with bits from some kind of plastic Empire machine - a cannon, perhaps - to make them look more gothic and detailed. Two large crosses were added to the front and back, along with a bit of chain from a Chaos vehicle sprue.



The painting emphasised dirt!




I don't think it's a masterpiece, but it's not bad for £4!

4 comments:

  1. Man, this is ace! The raw material is good indeed, but your detailing got the building to another level. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think adding the extra bits really helps these terrain pieces. I've spent a lot of time "researching" by playing Vermintide 2!

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic! Love the little bits you added to make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - I think the details make a lot of difference in this kind of terrain.

      Delete