Thursday 8 September 2022

Eldar Fighter Skimmer Thing

 So, in an earlier post I mentioned the Eldar equivalent of a pickup truck...

You don't have to be an expert in Warhammer to realise that the 40k world is a bloody ugly place. Whether it's lumpy tanks, snarling demons, Gestapo-lite commissars, zombie-bondage-mutant things (that covers a fair chunk of Chaos, Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar), or just skulls and more skulls piled on a big unimaginative heap of skulls, there's not a lot that could be called elegant in the 40k setting. The Tau and the Eldar are the two main exceptions.

I happened to find two partial Dark Eldar venom transports for sale on ebay. Once you take the crew, chains, spikes and guns off these things, they're actually very sleek and stylish. The curved body looks really cool. They remind me of the smooth, fishlike spaceships of 1970s science fiction art, like this picture by Chris Foss:



Back in the 90s, a company called Psygnosis made computer games for the Amiga. For their cover art, they used a lot of pictures by Roger Dean, who also drew album covers for the prog band Yes. While I am wary of prog to say the least, some of Dean's pictures have the sort of feeling I'd want for my Eldar.








I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's something about the blended pastel colours and the lack of intense detail (which is fortunate, as detail isn't my area). Anyway, with all that slightly pretentious stuff out of the way, here's what I did with the "broken" venoms.

First, I took off the little pods under the fusilage, which carry guns and hooked blades. This made the silhouette even more sleek. Then I needed to add a shuriken cannon somehow. Putting it under the ship looked clumsy, and mounting it on the top made the venom look like some kind of space pixie version of those Toyota pickups equipped with machine guns in third-world warzones.

So, I cut what looked like a headlamp from between the two "pincers" at the front of the ship, just before the cockpit. I sliced off the barrel from a shuriken cannon and pinned it into place there. It looks even more sleek than before, if you ask me, and doesn't interfere with the "line" of the ship. I assume that the workings and ammo for the gun are inside the fusilage, like a nose-mounted cannon on a fighter plane.





You've got to admit, it's a nice silhouette.

And that's all the converting I did. I then started painting it up in the blue that I've used for the rest of the army. I decided to add a new colour: I toyed with some kind of peach, but this was too tricky and so I went for purple instead. 






The pilot was the standard Dark Eldar one, with a smooth, featureless helmet. I thought it would look cool to put some kind of reflection on the helmet, like the reflections of the Arizona desert that Highway Patrol cops have in their sunglasses in films.






The canopy went on fine: I didn't glue it, although I might do later. It has a slightly naff heads-up targeter type thing, which I defy anyone to paint well. As it stands, the targeter just looks like a fancy symbol, which is fine by me.





I've got to admit, I'm pleased with this thing! Neeeeeowwwww!




I've got another of these to do, which ought to be a bit easier as it doesn't have a pilot. I'm sure I'll find some new way to make it awkward and difficult. 



10 comments:

  1. :O
    No joking, this is one of your best works. I love the sweet, elegant conversion. I love the colours, the transitions... But I do love that helmet! Beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It was a bit of a challenge: I think you really need an airbrush to do very fancy things with Eldar vehicles. I was almost tempted to paint over the helmet at one point and now I'm glad I didn't! This Eldar project has been good, as it's forced me to paint in ways that I usually avoid. Anyhow, thanks again, and I'm very pleased with how it's turned out.

      Delete
  2. Great idea moving the gun the way you did. The colors work so well! Great choice with the purple. And that helmet! Amazing!

    I really like this model design. Too bad I'm only doing skirmish these days. Maybe some terrain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think the gun works better this way and makes the whole thing look longer and sleeker. I doubt I'll ever play any games with this army - it's all for fun, really. Maybe a crashed vehicle for terrain would work for you? You can always use cars etc as fancy walls to block line of sight.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on the skimmer and the reflection on the pilots mask is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did wonder about the pilot's mask but now I'm glad I persevered!

      Delete
  4. Nice work on that! I always thought that craftworld Eldar should have a version of this hull (like Harlequins do), which would be perfect for some small team to leap out of (like Striking scorpions!)

    Maybe when GW gets around to redoing the Vyper, they can make it a dual variant box, and have something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make a lot of sense fluff-wise, and it would look nicer than the Vyper, which is a pretty old kit. It'd be cool to be able to deploy small squads, too. I wonder if GW would ideally like to make all the Eldar overlap as much as possible, perhaps with a view to eventually putting them all into one list.

      Delete
    2. With the current codex they are getting pretty close! All they need to do is put the Dark Eldar in, since everything else is already in the book, and has rules for working together.

      Delete
    3. Yes, they could then phase out some of the older duplicated models, especially for jetbikes and vypers/venoms. I doubt they sell many of them. There could be bonuses for a pure craftworld or dark army, but players would be generally expected to include bits of both. I'm not sure I'd really go for that.

      Delete