Wednesday 17 August 2022

Eldar Warlocks and the Complete Guardian Squad

 This week I decided to paint up two converted Eldar warlocks. I converted both of these a long time ago, for reasons now lost. I stripped them both and gave them a repaint.

The first was a simple arm replacement. I cut the arm off the model (it was originally holding a pistol) and replaced it with a pointing arm from a set of high elf archers. This didn't take much tidying up and was ready for painting pretty quickly.





The second warlock was a more complicated conversion. She has the arms and lower body of a warlock, but her head and torso were cut from a metal guardian model. I completely dismantled this model, cleaned the bits up and stuck them back together again. It's not perfect but it is neater than my original attempts. I gave them both purple-red hair: presumably, this is the colour of psychics.





And I've also finished off the guardian squad! I found another couple of guardian models, one of them a very old push-fit plastic miniature, and added them to the unit. I'm really pleased with these guys. They're slightly unexciting grunts, but they look good in a group. I'm particularly pleased with the shading on their support weapon. No idea what it is, though. A heavy plasma gun, perhaps?






This bit is weirdly pretty.






9 comments:

  1. Nice work as always.

    That is a "Star cannon" an Eldar repeating plasma cannon. The platform part is strange though, I believe that the standard one has two engines at the rear, and yours has three centered around the pivot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The platform was plastic and in the same box as the actual guardians. I was given this box: I think it's an older set of guardians with less options than the current set. I've got a metal platform with two thrusters - maybe it's one of those?

      Delete
    2. Ah, the plastic platform... newer than the ones I have! That would explain it.

      I checked and the newest platform is similar, so they must have changed from 2-3 engines when it went to plastic.

      Delete
    3. It's the devious ways of the eldar, forever changing and yet staying the same!

      Delete
  2. Great coloring! Love how they turned out. The warlock conversions are really good. I really like the female one. That armored top really sticks out! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - given that both models involved are metal I must have done some serious hacking back in the day!

      Delete
  3. The conversions are seamless, I'm fascinated. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - I've got a load of war machines and mounted guns to do, but I'd like to do a few aspect warriors too. Retro eldar are cool.

      Delete