Wednesday 13 July 2022

Walking Chapel and Freelancer Captain


 


Time to clear some of the things off the painting desk. I started this conversion about six months ago, and it's been sitting there ever since. 

This is - well, I'm not entirely sure what it is. It's some sort of magical/clockwork/steampowered walker, probably for Mordheim and possibly for Warhammer 40k. The body is based around an old ink cartridge from a printer, with a spare tomb gate on the front and stuck on two legs from a toy robot kit I found on ebay. I then stuck lots of skulls that I'd cut off other kits and other bits of gothic tat to it, to make a sort of chapel on legs.

Here are some WIPs. I can't recall all the bits I used, but there's stuff from space marines, flagellants, Nurgle terrain, Adeptus Titanicus buildings and a strange throne thingy. We've also got bits from an ancient WW2 tank kit that I bought especially for adding detail to things like this.





The painting was basically grey stone and rusty metal. I used brown, bone and green on the stone to stop it looking too boring. Details were added with gunmetal and brass.






Weird, but interesting! I think it would waddle around the streets, probably at random, making a nuisance of itself and possibly squashing the unworthy under its big feet. Which boils down to it being a beast of burden or a bit of terrain, depending on the circumstances.

I also had a Black Scorpion miniature on the desk that needed finishing. He's a Grand Master of the Knights of the Citadel from the Breninmoor range. As with virtually all Black Scorpion models, he was a nice sculpt and very pleasant to paint. 









4 comments:

  1. It definitely fits in fantasy, but I can see it in a Grimdark setting too. Great execution and a nice pick of colors! The knight is great too! Lots of great little detail work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could imagine the Sisters of Battle liking one of these things! The Black Scorpion models really are nice sculpts.

      Delete
  2. That's inspired, as usual! I love the way you build such wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - this one really was a matter of sticking random bits together and hoping it worked!

      Delete