Monday 25 July 2022

Marine Dracoline Conversion

 Hello again! I've purchased a light box from ebay. It was very cheap, and I'm still getting the hang of it, but it might help with photographing some of the bigger miniatures.

In my continuing quest to finish some old models, I painted a model that I started ages ago. It's a Stormcast model called Aristea Solbright, who seems to be some kind of wizard and is riding a "dracoline", which I assume is a lion/dragon mixture (although it looks like a dinosaur/hyaena to me). Anyhow, it was going cheaply on ebay and looked as if it might be fun to paint.

Hmm. If this is an easy-assemble model I'd hate to see the difficult ones. It's push-fit, but I ended up cutting off most of the pegs and just gluing it together. Some of the detail on the barding was so fiddly that it snapped coming off the sprue and had to be replaced with green stuff. Not much fun to make.

I gave her a plasma pistol, marine shoulder pads, a fancy backpack that I'd had lying around for ages (from Puppetswar or one of those companies) and a new head from Statuesque Miniatures. The conversion work wasn't very difficult and came out alright.

Then over to the painting. It's funny how some models are much more enjoyable to paint than others. This seemed to have tons of fiddly little details and took a long time. At the end of the day, I think it's fine, but it wasn't a very fun miniature to do.






Now for something more enjoyable. This is a space marine with a metal body (probably meant to be from the Iron Warriors chapter) and a metal arm and gun. All the other bits were plastic. It was easy to assemble and enjoyable to paint. Maybe there's a lesson in that somewhere. Or not.




4 comments:

  1. It's a great conversion, with a fantastic paint job. Even more so for the marine! Funny, I'm with you on the big models. It's just too much to work on; particularly these modern miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree - recent models are really well sculpted, but the amount of detail is pretty excessive sometimes. I've got some old Eldar dreadnoughts and I'm tempted to give them a go - they've got almost no detail at all!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! I have one I painted years ago. Picked up a few over the years. Check out Magpie and Old Lead too. Axiom did a scout variant I want to build at some point.

      Delete
    3. I had a look at Axiom's conversion and I was really impressed. It definitely captures the weirdness of Rogue Trader eldar. I really like the original look of the eldar: elegant, but very strange.

      Delete