Saturday 9 April 2022

Harlequins - The Completed Squad

 So here are the last two harlequins, at least for the moment. I bought them both on ebay. One is just a regular chap. He was missing his left arm from the elbow down, so I replaced it with a dark elf arm that was holding a dagger point-down. The many pads on his armour made him quite difficult to paint, and it was hard to put a lot of checks on the plates.

The other chap is, I think, an old solitaire model. I tried to give him a slightly darker colour scheme, which isn't very obvious. The odd crystaline gun he carries is a neuro disruptor. I've no idea what it does, beyond disrupting neuros.



Here is the whole group. I have to say, I'm very pleased with them all. I think I got increasingly confident as the squad grew, and I could add smaller markings and brighter colours. 




While painting these, I suddenly realised that almost none of them had the grinning face-masks that I associate with harlequins. Most have very stylised masks that don't look like any particular species. Only one, who might be a minor champion, has a mask with a face on it, and that's only half a face (the other half is smooth and featureless). 

Looking at the old late-80s colour schemes, the checks-on-everything painting style hadn't appeared yet, either. It's sort-of-interesting that the style we have now took a couple of iterations to work out.

Anyhow, I've very pleased with this squad. They're probably some of the best models that I've ever painted, and I've really enjoyed doing them. Now I'm going to convert something and paint it in drab, messy colours. I think I've earned that!

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking force!

    They've got a proper old school vibe to them and look brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - I really like these old miniatures. They're a bit restricted in terms of pose, but the details are amazing.

      Delete
  2. I love your troupe, they are pure RT love.
    As far as I can recall at the moment, back in the day the neuro disruptor got the enemy confused, like they had failed a... can't be sure, maybe an intelligence test. I'll check that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been an enjoyably retro experience (and it's not quite finished yet!). I once played a 8th ed harlequin army, and their big thing was lowering the enemy leadership, so something like that would make sense.

      Delete
  3. Nice work. Especially on the diamonds and on such small areas as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm pretty tired of checks now! How did you manage to paint an entire harlequin army without going mad and/or blind?

      Delete
  4. An outstanding squad ripped right out of RT! Love each and every one. Great job Toby!

    ReplyDelete