Friday 15 April 2022

Chaos Armiger, Pt 2



Having done the conversion work, it was time to paint the chaos armiger. It was inevitably going to be in the not-quite-Black Legion scheme that I've used before, with a lot of dust and weathering. The base still looked rather large and empty, even with two bits of broken stone (from the basing kit), so I needed to add some more details.

First up, the base got a couple of bits of cork rock, a tuft of static grass and a skull. All fairly standard, but it needed a bit more.

I added a piece of manky old tree, left over from that Nurgle tree kit. I actually cut and turned part of the tree, so that the metal ring attached to it would hang down instead of up, which looked more realistic. It was painted to look pretty much dead. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I attached it to the base to be pointing in the same direction that the armiger was walking.



Next up I added a weird snake thing that I'd had in my bits box for years. It was actually made out of two mutated arms from an ancient "conversion bits" sprue, which I stuck together many years ago for reasons now unknown. The metal brace on the snake (who put it there?) somehow reinforces its unwholesomeness. I gave it a nasty fleshy paint job.




[Pretentious diversion: it reminds me of a picture called "Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion" by Francis Bacon, which apparently inspired the chestburster from Alien. Pure coincidence.]

I imagine that this thing is snapping at the armiger's ankles. The chaos wastes are probably full of such delightful, friendly creatures.

So, now for the whole thing. Time to break out the weathering powder! I attempted a bit of a glow on the guns, but I don't enjoy painting object source lighting and it usually goes wrong, so I went pretty easy on that. I gave the machine red "flesh", rather than manky pink because (a) I didn't want it to look weak and (b) it's a demonic robot dinosaur.








Well, I'm happy with that! Onto the next project!


4 comments:

  1. This monster is scary as hell, I love it. The snake (daemon-snake? whatever!) is pure genius, cool job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm just glad to have found somewhere to put that nasty snake thing. I'm really pleased with this guy!

      Delete