Saturday 20 July 2024

Medieval Dreadnought Conversion


 This week, I found some very old 40k vehicles that I made about 15 years ago. They weren't great to begin with, and they'd got battered after a trip to the attic, so I thought I'd have a go at rebuilding one of them. I wanted it to fit in with the rest of my marines, who have a jolly, knightly look.

This is a conversion of an old plastic dreadnought, using (mainly) the upper body of a dreadnought and the legs of a plastic sentinel. The sentinel legs were bulked out with two wheels and some plasticard. The kneepads came from an old plastic chaos knight, and the loincloth was an old plastic cloak. The exhausts were given some plastic chaos tank bits for bonus medievalism.





The right arm of the dreadnought is a standard twin lascannon. The right arm has a metal cannon part that I got in a job lot of bits years ago. I think it's from an ancient steam tank. The dreadnought got plates on his thighs, which came from a dreadnought shin guard which I sliced in half (I couldn't find two).

The shields on the front were bits of plasticard, sanded to shape and painted with heraldry. The head comes from an Imperial Knight, although I cut the lower half off. To begin with, I thought the head was too big and looked silly, but I've got used to it and frankly the whole thing is a bit silly. The little emblem on the top was once on a Bretonian knight's helmet. 

Let's call him Mordread. 









2 comments:

  1. Man, this is pure gold. When I opened the post I just spent some minutes admiring the first pic and trying to recognise the bits. What a lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It was nice to be able to repair it and improve the conversion. There's quite a range of bits in there!

      Delete