Sunday 12 March 2023

Shire Dragon and Red Admiral

 Once again I've been trying to sort out some of the models that have been sitting on my desk for ages. About two years ago, I bought myself a Mirliton Miniatures "Shire Dragon" for Christmas. I assembled it (I remember that a lot of drilling and pinning was involved), put some basic colours on it, and then left it there. I thought it was time to finish him off.

I was slightly surprised to find that I'd used a dark blue wash on the green parts of the model. I'm not sure why I did that, but I decided to leave it in place. I seemed to have highlighted the green scales in two ways, one involving a lighter green and the other involving adding yellow to dark green. Oh well, it seemed to work.

Making the base was enjoyable. The metal model came with a lot of sculpted grass around the lower legs, and I stuck it onto an MDF circle. I added DAS clay to make the ground undulate a bit, and pushed some bits of cork and slate into the clay to be rocks. I painted the base as usual: green flock with patches of watered-down dark green and brown, followed by a light yellow drybrush. I added quite a lot of static grass tufts and flowers.




He actually came with a couple of small human figures, but I didn't add them as they would have been out of scale.

I could have done the wings a bit better (I never like painting wings) but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with that. His face looks nice. In fact, his expression of vague contentment makes me think he's been at the hobbits' weed. 

I also painted another Durgin Forge model. Again, it's a great sculpt: very slightly caricatured, but with excellent detail. This guy is, apparently, a Bluecoat Admiral (I thought that was a sort of butterfly) but I painted him to fit with the other two soldiers. 






4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, you brought two exquisite pieces today. TGHe Admiral is superbly painted, it's quite a job, but the dragon steals the show, I'm in love with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! They were slightly daunting to paint, especially the dragon, but I'm pleased with how they've turned out. I really like the style of the miniatures, and I think that helps a lot.

      Delete
  2. Love the colurs of the dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Largely by chance the green came out ok!

      Delete