Sunday 19 March 2023

Back to the Harlequins

 I often find that I get very into a painting project, buy a ton of stuff for it, and only make three-quarters of what I've got, if that. This week, I thought I'd go back to the harlequins that I was doing this time last year, and finish off a few more of them.

The big theme of last year was the Eldar repaint, and it was the harlequins that started it off. The Eldar gave me the opportunity to try new things and improve my painting, and I'm very pleased with some of the stuff I made. So it's nice to go back to these teeny Jes Goodwin models and paint miniscule diamonds on their loud trousers.

First up, here are a pair of suitably lurid types. I think the guy on the left is a minor hero. The blue Citadel catalogue describes him as a "warlock". The guy on the right is a Solitaire, and was missing his left hand. I gave him a new plastic pistol that I had lying around. I really am in awe of the sculpting on these models: the detail is incredible.




Next we've got a Death Jester. These guys provide ranged support for the other harlequins and have a macabre, slightly voodoo feel. Again, the miniature is really little, but the detail is super. The way that the ammo feeds out of a skull on his back is so cool. It seems that the harlequin models were pretty popular, as there are a lot of them knocking around, but the Death Jesters seem to be somewhat rarer. 





Finally, here is a High Warlock. I think this guy would have been a wizard, effectively: the equivalent of the current Shadow Seer. It's got a very cool blank faceplate, which I would have tried to paint to look like a reflection - like the canopies on some of the flyers I've done - if the rest of the model hadn't already been blue. As ever, it was a challenge to paint, but really enjoyable.




And while I'm giving everyone chequered trousers, I decided to finish off a plastic Mordheim/Frostgrave mercenary that's been sitting on my desk for a year or so. He's also got outrageous trousers. He was made out of plastic Empire parts, with a shield from a set of skeleton warriors that I've been slowly pillaging for bits. I will never paint chequers any smaller like this.





Right then, I'm going to rest my eyes for a while!

2 comments:

  1. Chequers FTW! What a hell of a job, but they all turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very John Blanche, now I think of it! Thanks!

      Delete