Tuesday 7 February 2023

Chaos Space Marine and Eldar Musician Lady

After the big tank, I've been painting a couple of smaller-scale models. Here's a chaos bloke. 

He's made from lots of assorted bits: the head is from a Chaos Marine, the body is from an old metal marine (I think it's one of Fabius Bile's enhanced minions, but I'm not sure), the arms are from an Empire Flagellant, and the legs come from a Blood Angel jump pack marine. I think the axe head is from a Chaos Marauder. I added the grenades on his leg to cover up some Blood Angels iconography. Here's a WIP:



I like the sense of movement and craziness to him. I could see the Chaos Marines arming themselves with whatever implements they could find: axes, crowbars and bits of chain. I decided to paint him in the standard not-Black Legion colours, with unhealthy skin. The skin was base-coated grey and highlighted with pink flesh. I washed it with purple and a bit of strong tone. His lower legs got quite a bit of weathering powder - I doubt he'd be very interested in keeping clean!






*

And now for something much more wholesome. I've always wondered what Eldar civilians look like. In a way, there aren't many purely civilian Eldar, as they can always be called up to help the Guardian militia. But what do Eldar do in their free time? I expect they do arts and crafts, and spend their long lives getting very, very good at stuff. I vaguely remember Games Workshop saying that they make a lot of pots.

I'd expect civilian Eldar to look like a cross between hippies and Roman senators - in fact, quite like the elves in the films of The Lord of the Rings (what? Eldar looking like elves? How can this be?).  I found this Jes Goodwin picture online, where they look slightly New Age and quite Goth.




Anyhow, one of the best things about the local gaming shop is that, when there's no interest in a game, they start selling the models off cheaply. Clearly Warmachine hasn't taken off in South-East England, since they were flogging some random metal Privateer Press models. One of them was an elf lady playing a wind instrument to a giant snake-alien. I bought them both and painted up the elf.

It was quite hard to make out some of the details, and assembling her instrument - it looks like an oboe or a clarinet - was an absolute sod. I ended up cutting it into pieces to get her hands to align. It was risky, but it paid off. Like most Privateer Press elves, she's got colossal pointy ears.

I ended up painting her in much the same colours as I've used for the rest of the army. I painted her space-clarinet metal to make it stand out. I might use her as a bonesinger, who can repair damaged Eldar structures with psychic power. 




 

8 comments:

  1. Really great motion on that chaos guy.

    The large ears aside (maybe an aesthetic choice on her part) that is a great Eldar civilian. I wish there were a lot more of these, or at least advisors to the Autarch or something, but no... every army leader has to be a beat stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - a lot of it's down to the legs I found. I've had all the parts for ages but never thought of sticking them together before.

      Yes, I'd like some more civilian models. The best option would probably be to use elves, maybe wizards, and cut their weapons off. Some of the very old metal gun crew might work, too. Maybe Frostgrave wizards or converted historical models could be good. Hmm, this has got me thinking!

      Delete
    2. Darn it, me too... dangerous that.

      for this sort of thing I tend to use the reaper figure finder, and there sure are a lot of options for "elf wizard".

      Delete
    3. Good idea. Maybe Privateer Press might have some suitable models, too. They did have some models for their RPG which might work as Eldar dignitaries.

      Delete
  2. Wow, they are such different models, yet they both look great in their own way. I'm mesmerised by the pose of the first guy, you made an outstanding job there. But I do love the Eldar girl and your idea of turning her into a Bonesinger. Fantastic job, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I think the legs and arms really make the chaos guy. I like the Eldar musician a lot more now that she's painted. Privateer Press make some odd models, but every so often they do one that I really like.

      Delete
  3. That Chaos Marine is great! Love the pose, and the paintjob is a lot more interesting than most of the black legion you see. I particularly like the skin on him.

    The space elf is also amazing! I've always wanted a Musician for my forces, but sadly keep missing out on grabbing one. This is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon that unhealthy skin is inevitable after several thousand years in the Warp! The paintjob is a bit simpler than most BL models, but I prefer it (also, I don't have to paint yellow).

      Thanks - she's come out quite well. Painting civilians is always interesting. They can be doing such a range of interesting things!

      Delete