Saturday 18 February 2023

Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn (aka Hovering Elf Lady)

 Some miniatures are just plain daunting. I've had this one for ages, but I've been working up to painting it for a while. I thought it was finally time to bite the bullet and get on with it.

This is "Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn" from Privateer Press' game Warmachine. She's a leader from the Retribution of Scyrah (ie elven) faction. As you can see, she seems to be meditating and is hovering about the ground. This rather fitted the style of my Eldar, and I thought she would make a good alternative Farseer.

I tried to incorporate a lot of the other colours I've used in the army on her armour and clothing: the blue and green gems, the purple-red of the other warlocks, the sparkly paint that represents the warp, a and the blue/green fade that I've used on the dreadnoughts and wraithguards. I even added a bit of purple blending to the shoulder pads to reflect the vehicles that I've done, but it's hard to make out.




Painting the symbols around the edge of the base was a bit tedious (I took them out of an old Eldar codex) but the base looked too large and they help make it seem a little smaller. I originally painted her with her eyes shut, but I thought it would look more dramatic if they were open (not that it's easy to see anyhow).

Here's a rear view. Working out how the cloth went together was tricky and I'm not 100% sure I got it right. Floating in the air is probably quite convenient when you've got hair like that.




I do like the colours. I have a slightly converted puma-type cat that I'd wanted to add to the base as a pet, but I think I'll put that onto a separate base after all. I quite like the idea of a small group of unarmed Eldar citizens, doing whatever they do. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I can see the mini is challenging, but I do love the sculpt (now I need one! Don't even know what for, but never mind!). Anyway, I love your paintjob, it's a sweet work indeed. And the runes, oh the runes! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really nice model, although if she stood up I think she'd be a really big elf. The concept really appealed to me: I find it interesting when models aren't pointing a gun. Thanks - I'm pleased with how it came out!

      Delete
  2. Very cool pose, and why should a Farseer walk?

    The markings on the base are very well done, did you paint them with a brush, or use a pen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I painted them on, with a 50/50 mix of black paint and Dark Tone, which I find a bit easier to use than just black. I really like the idea of the model - it plays into the idea of Eldar being psychic and a bit New Age.

      Delete