Thursday 30 September 2021

Flamer Cultist/Inquisitor/Dark Acolyte Conversion

 A while back, I painted some of the new Chaos cultist models, which seem to have been designed for the game Blackstone Fortress instead of 40k, but which are still available.

The largest of the cultists is this guy, who seems to be wielding some kind of flamer:




He's one of the increasing number of GW models whose sculpting is fine but whose concept I don't like. Not least is the fact that he's very different in style and size to the other cultists. However, I thought that the various bits of him could be put to good use. Very carefully, I cut his legs off the sprue, and away from his body.

I cut the left leg at the hip and knee, and slightly reshaped it so that he could have one leg posed dramatically on a small piece of rock (actually a random bit of cork that I found in my bits box). 

Some months back, I made some chaos bikers out of the old Dark Vengeance bikers. I had a robed sergeant's torso left over, which was about in scale with the rather large legs of Flamer Guy. The robes worked well with the robes/slit skirt/poorly tied sarong that Flamer Guy is wearing. 

The resulting model was quite big, but didn't have the right armour for Space Marine arms. But what about Tempestus Scion arms, which are cloth with armour plates strapped on? They happened to fit really well. I gave the model a backpack from the Scions as well, and ended up with this:







And now for paint! 

I originally thought I'd paint his robe black, like a 40k Darth Vader, but not make him stand out with a white(ish) robe?

His gun got a military green colour, and I used the same red and brass shades on his armour plates that I'd used on my not-Black Legion guys, so he could fit in with them. Oddly, the Scions have quite similar fancy details on their armour to those that the chaos marines have on their shoulder pads. 

I decided to give him black (ie brown) skin on his face instead of white (ie pink) skin, or the greyish skin that I've used on some other chaos models. The darker shade goes well with the robe, I think, and contrasts nicely with his (plastic?) face mask. This guy might just about be an inquisitor (which is the default what-have-I-just-made option in 40k) or, more likely, a Chaos chap. I reckon he's probably a Dark Acolyte, standing in a dramatic pose while he extols the virtues of the Chaos gods. Quite a hard sell, I'd have thought.





So there we go. My camera hasn't made the best job of taking a photo of the finished product, but you get the idea. I really like him. I've got plans for the upper half of Flamer Guy as well.

5 comments:

  1. Pretty nice! Well, more than that indeed. An inspiring job, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suber! It's quite irritating when the camera doesn't do the model justice (or at least I think the camera doesn't, which might be a different thing)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic conversion! It really looks like he came this way. The paint job is great as well. Glad you went with this color robe/jacket. There’s hope for some of these off looking models after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheer guys, I'm glad he worked out!

    ReplyDelete