Saturday 18 May 2024

More Old Genestealer Hybrids

 I've been painting more genestealer hybrids, for what is now becoming a small mob of hideous mutants. They're really nice models: very well detailed and very enjoyable to paint. Doing these guys gives me the opportunity to try out different ways of painting skin, to depict the various levels of hybridisation. 

Here are four of the more human guys. I used old metal bodies and plastic arms from the Stargrave Scavengers kit (you get loads of spares). A little bit of cutting was required, but nothing drastic, and I'm really pleased with the way that they've come out.




Here are a pair of less human members. The model on the left is identical to one that I've used earlier. I gave this one a skirt made from some drab green material. Perhaps she hacked up an army blanket. Her equally nasty friend has a plasma pistol and a suitably deranged expression. Obviously, Tyranids aren't especially pretty creatures, but the genestealer hybrids have a really scummy, rabid look.




I also painted up a magus for the group.  This particular magus is the one who came with the seated metal patriarch. This model came miscast, without a proper left arm and with some rough bits around his head. I replaced the damaged left arm with a plastic arm from the modern Genestealer Acolytes set. He's now holding a staff with a speaker on top of it, to broadcast his ravings to his crazed minions. 






After all this, I thought it would be cool to try to recreate one of my favourite bits of Oldhammer artwork. Here we see a horde of genestealers rushing down some kind of manky tunnel.




And here are my guys, looking like a dodgy tribute band. I suggest clicking on the picture, because it's come out quite well.




Right then. Back to the harlequins...


2 comments:

  1. These are great! The Stargrave arms work really well and that final pics is very evocative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Yet another good reason to get some Stargrave models! I've always loved that picture: it makes the cult look really vicious. Some of the old genestealer and tyranid art is amazing, even if it is outdated models-wise.

      Delete