Monday 23 May 2022

Sternguard Veterans

This week, I took a bit of a break from the mean streets of Mordheim to paint some space marines. This is a metal squad of veterans that I got from ebay a few months ago. They were going for a very decent price and looked like the kind of vaguely-knightly guys I wanted in my little army. I think they're sternguard veterans - ie old blokes who hang around at the back.

 While I often make fun of the ridiculous Space Marine fluff and GW's obsession with making them bigger and bigger, I do think that some very good models have been released for the non-Primaris marines over the years, and these are some of them. The sculpting is excellent and they're covered in odd details that don't obscure the basic look of the models. I did wonder about de-skulling them a bit, but then I realise that it would be too much effort and the chances of me doing more harm than good were very high. At the end, the only conversions I did were to replace two gun barrels that had been squashed out of shape with bits of plastic rod.

Here are the first two:




Here's the second pair:




And this is the leader (I think):




Here's the whole squad together:




4 comments:

  1. I had these minis and I love them, your work makes them true justice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - they're really nice little sculpts. I feel obliged to buy the good old metal marines before everything gets turned to plastic primaris bigmarines.

      Delete
  2. Great additions to the team! This army is really shaping up! Love how you are pulling together all the best miniatures for this. And I completely agree, some of those metal minis had so much character. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's largely a matter of checking ebay every so often and being selective in what I go for. I really wanted a knightly look, but more Brettonian and King Arthur than Black Templars. Hopefully I'm getting there. Which reminds me, I must build that dreadnought sometime...

      Delete