Monday 17 June 2024

A Vampire and some Vampire Hunters

 So, after last week's grand announcement that I was starting an ork warband, I decided to make some more gothic horror guys for my small force of Borovians. That's not to say that I've given up on the orks: they're continuing, just as the tyranids and random Mordheim people and Eldar are continuing. I really must get around to painting those howling banshees...

Anyhow, here are some more desperate fighters for the wretched land of Borovia. On the left is a model I bought from the Bad Squiddo stall at UK Games Expo. It's called Vampire Hunter Margaret - if that's a reference, I don't recognise it. For no good reason, this model took a long time to paint and was strangely awkward. Still, it's a decent sculpt.




This is a model called The River Widow from Reaper. She's got a pirate/gypsy sort of look that suggests some kind of adventurer in the wilds of Borovia, perhaps a wizard. I really like this miniature: all the layers of cloth are very cool and fun to paint. That said, I found it really hard to work out what some of the items on her belt were. There's an object near her hand that I decided to paint as a telescope or metal container. Her face is really well-sculpted and has a devious smile.





And this bloke is a West Wind priest from their Vampire Wars line. He's got a vaguely Orthodox feel, so would be good for some real-world Transylvanian vampire hunting. His face has a look of wild fury, as he's banishing some evil. A useful man to know.





This jolly chap is also from West Wind. He looks as if he should be running an inn and eating a lot of sausages, or perhaps the head of a crime syndicate. There's a blunderbuss strapped to his back. He's pretty grotesque, but I quite like the cartoony feel of the model.





Then we've got a vampire from North Star Games. He's very Georgian, and reminds me very much of the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair, the villain from the BBC's adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I decided to paint him in the same colours as the TV version. His pose is slightly weird, but he does look quite creepy.



I started this bunch of weirdos because I'd been playing The Curse of Strahd, a Dungeons and Dragons adventure, and also because I liked the look of The Silver Bayonet. I really like the models and their gloomy feel. I might do a few more.



6 comments:

  1. They all are so tasty! I believe the two first ladies are my favourites, but you provided a wonderful and solid paintjob on all of them. I love how well they all look, being so different sculpts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it's quite difficult to work out what colours to paint them, in that they need to look slightly sinister but interesting. I didn't like the West Wind sculpts when I first got them, but I'm warming to the whole group!

      Delete
  2. I love this wonderfully weird bunch, well done. It is also good to know I'm not the only one struggling to identify bits and bobs hanging from models' belts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yes, there is a sense of them just having "stuff" hanging from their belts. It can usually be painted as bags, but the weird container threw me. I looked it up on the Reaper website and apparently it's a bottle! I think it works better as a battered brass thing, though.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine her going for the: 'if you don't know what this battered brass thing is, you have no business hunting vampires'-bluff. It should work :)

      Delete
    3. "Of course I have one of these! Everyone has one of these!" (Walks away in a huff)

      Delete