Monday 3 April 2023

A Vampire and his Minion

 I've been busy with more Mordgrave (or possibly Frostheim) stuff. I fished out an old vampire model that I got very cheaply off ebay, probably because his cloak was missing. He's from Games Workshop's "red period" of the 1990s, when every fantasy army was painted in bright primary colours, even including skaven and the living dead. He's got the slightly goofy look that was common to fantasy models back then, but I think that actually works in his favour. After all, vampires are inherently melodramatic, and if he's trudging round Mordheim, he's probably not very high in the pecking order (or food chain).

I happened to have a cloak left over that I could use. It came from a Reaper Bones model that came in a Kickstarter. As with so many of the old Bones models, the miniature was pretty ropey, but the cloak was servicable. I cut it off, bent it a bit and used green stuff to hide the joins. I really like the way that the vampire looks as if he's flourishing the cape, probably just prior to pulling it across his face and turning into a bat, laughing madly.

The blue clothing and purple belt match the rest of the Mordheim undead that I've done. The choice of red for the cloak and collar was pretty much inevitable, and it makes him stand out nicely. His skin was mixed with grey to get a dead effect. He was a real pleasure to paint.



This next model used to be a chaos cultist, but I thought he looked sufficiently wretched to work as a servant of the vampire, and I stripped and repainted him. He's probably the cheapest model that I have ever bought. I'm not sure what he's supposed to be, but his mask makes me think of a plague doctor. Getting a half-decent picture of him was surprisingly difficult and, ultimately, I failed at that.




I wonder what to make next. I've been working on an MDF bridge for my table, but it's not there yet. It occurs to me that I've now got at least five workable Mordheim warbands: human mercenaries (probably Reikland, the bog-standard option); undead; dwarves; chaos cultists and skaven. I've also got a set of armoured nun-type people that I picked up cheaply ages ago, who would make great Sisters of Sigmar. One warband that's never appealed that much is the witch hunters, but I've got a few models that would work for them. And they do have some entertaining loonies... 

Hmm. We'll see. I've got a heap of Eldar to work through, too!

2 comments:

  1. The vampire is obviously cool, but I'm intrigued by his minion. My guess is that he's a character from Dark Crystal, but in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a vague memory of him being a cultist from Black Cat Miniatures, but I don't think a company of that name exists. He is a bit of a mystery. I reckon the Dark Crystal works well for him!

      Delete