Thursday 14 October 2021

Jolly Space Marines

In a world of endless warfare and sepia ink, what could be more subversive than to look cheerful? Here are some more of the jolly, questing-knight style space marines that I was making a few months ago.

I've had a half-painted loyalist space marine on my desk for ages, so I thought I'd finish him off. He was made from a captain's body, Blood Angel arms, and a Bretonian helmet.





Then I thought I'd make another of these guys. This chap has a Blood Angels body with some of the skulls filed off to make him look a bit more heroic ("Hans, are we the baddies?"). His pistol arm was plastic, and the sword arm was metal. 




The third marine was the body of a high-ranking marine from the Masters of the Chapter set. I've no idea which master he is. Maybe geography. I gave him a grey knight head and spear, and converted a hand so it would hold his helmet, which came off a very old Bretonian sprue.




I've ordered a couple more knightly-looking marines off ebay. I like the small metal marines: they've got more character than the recent primaris ones, and they can be converted without too much trouble (and they're much cheaper!). In putting these guys together, I've tried to minimise chapter-specific bits as well as skulls, but I've not been too careful about this as long as the end result is good. I doubt I'll make a full army of them, but a few more would be cool. Enough to sit around a big round table...

4 comments:

  1. They are fantastic! I agree, we need some big damn hero’s in 40k; and you delivered. Great conversions and great paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool work, you certainly have a good eye for this kind of conversions, I love these. Right choice taking some skulls out ('are we the baddies?' I didn't remember that, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys! They're fun to paint and the bright colours make a nice change from the Chaos marines. More to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! What a cool idea. :)

    ReplyDelete