Wednesday 1 June 2022

Veskit, Skaven assassin

 Back to Mordheim again. At the back of the Mordheim manual is a list of special characters. One of them is Veskit the Executioner, a Skaven assassin. Veskit's story is that, after being horribly mangled on a mission, the scientist/wizards of Clan Skyre put him back together again. Of course, in doing so they made him into a monster.

I recently bought the body of an old metal arco-flagellant on a whim, partly because it was cheap and partly because I thought I could turn it into some kind of undead monstrosity. Looking at the rules for Veskit, it occurred to me that the half-machine, half-scrawny human body of the arco-flagellant could become the basis for a conversion of Veskit.



First, I cut the old head off and replaced it with the head of a Skaven leader I'd acquired ages ago. The Skaven head had a crest, which rather unbalanced the model and had to go. Because the original body was very hunched, it would need to be pitched up on a slope, so to make it more "open" and visible. To do that, I mounted it on a sloped bit of "wood" left over from a terrain kit.

The right arm came from a plastic gutter runner and fitted really well. The shoulder ball of the left arm came from a chaos marine's backpack vent. It had a nice shape and was suitably ornamental. The lower arm was a piece of resin rod with a hinge joint at the end. I've no idea what this was originally, but it looked right. 

The big claws were from some bits that my friend James gave me - maybe from a replacement Necron model. I positioned it so that the claws were resting on the wooden slope. It made the model a bit stronger and looked as if he was about to charge, like a sprinter at the blocks. Veskit got a tail from a piece of resin, probably from the same not-Necron parts. I don't know where the little shoulder pad came from - I found it in the bits box and it looked right.



Because Skaven have big feet, I sculpted over the dinky human feet with green stuff. I also gave him some more fur around his scraggy neck and covered the Imperial symbol on his loincloth. I bulked out the back of Veskit's outfit, so that the tail looked more, er, natural going up there. 







To paint this charming fellow, I used the raw flesh method I've used before - red undercoat with purple washes. The rest was fairly simple. I decided not to make the metal look too tarnished, so it would be easier to see what was what on his body. I added a Mantic skull and a rat from the Frostgrave female wizards set to his base.






All ready to slay his enemies and steal their cheese!



6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is genius! What a conversion, I love how you put everything together and made it so coherent. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It came out better than I'd hoped. I'm very pleased with him!

      Delete
  2. Wondered what the heck I was looking at in the first picture of the metal mini but the word Skaven lured me in and glad it did. I really like this conversion, I'd buy it if it was available at GW. Very menacing, love those mechanical scissor claws and the pose hunched and ready for violence in the ruined city. Nice work on the sculpted foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks very much! I was one of those "I wonder if this would work" moments. I think he's suitably unwholesome enough for Mordheim! Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! This is a win of a model in all aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbs! I'm pleased with how he came out and glad that I had the right bits to make him work. He looks nasty and vicious, which is what counts!

      Delete