Friday 27 May 2022

Chaos Terminator Captain

 This week, we're back in the Eye of Terror, that hellish place where Chaos rules, the laws of nature are strictly optional, and most conversations end with someone shouting "or suffer the consequences!". 




I won an ebay auction for some random terminator guns and arms, so it seemed time to make some more terminator marines. I didn't have all the bits, but I could always improvise. The parts I had from ebay were from Nurgle terminators, but that wasn't going to put me off. 

I started with a standard Chaos terminator body, and added the lower legs from a Tau stealth suit. They were the right scale and had a suitable hooved, bestial look. Then I draped some green stuff around the legs to make a sort of skirt. That looked impressive, and bulked the legs out a bit so they didn't look too spindly.

The right arm went on as standard. It's a really nice sculpt, with a great piece of cloth hanging off the shoulder-plate. The left arm is cool too, with its row of weird quills, but the Nurgley sword looked too decrepit for my tastes. I cut it off and replaced it with the top of a chaos knight spear that I'd had lying around for ages. Much more choppy.




The model got a couple of chains hanging down from its waist, which I took from Empire flagellant bits. They just looked like the sort of junk that a chaos champion might carry. I found an odd piece in the bits box that looked like a crown made from tusks tied together. I think it might have been from a savage orc. Anyhow, it was stuck to the model's backpack. One of the best thing about terminator models - which I've never been that sold on, especially the chaos variety - is that you can pile random stuff onto their backs. 

And finally, the head. This was a wood elf dryad's head, cut to fit and green-stuffed into place. Maybe it was once human, but it certainly isn't now.




Now for paint. It - actually, I'm starting to think that this creature might be a she - got the standard chaos paint scheme. I've been watching a few painting videos on Youtube, and one suggested highlighting models slightly further than you normally would. I decided to give this a go, and so took the colours a bit further than usual. I also shaded the deepest folds of the red cloth with dark green, which works quite well.

I painted the flesh a weird "maybe it was once human" colour, and did the eyes and the sword blue to provide contrast to the red and black.




And here we are with the entire terminator squad. I recently discovered that two of them have resin legs that are incredibly fragile. If an opportunity arrives to give them different legs, I'll probably take it.




6 comments:

  1. Once again, I love the way you envision the final result and put the bits together. The Dryad, for example, is pure genius. Cool work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was just a matter of going through the bits box and seeing what worked. I wanted a head that looked slightly human but more vicious, and a dryad's head seemed to do the job.

      Delete
  2. Lovely conversion work on the chaos chappie!

    I must admit that I'm not too sold on Terminators either, especially the old ones whose heads seemed to project out of their chests but you've made a cracking champion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yes, the grey knight style look much better to me, especially for loyalists. I quite like the way Chaos terminators can have their head coming forward, like a bloodletter or a dinosaur. I've never liked the helmets with all those tusks, either.

      Delete
  3. I thought that was a daemon head... great idea using a dryad head! Love how all the parts once again seamlessly came together. Keep bringing us these fantastic conversions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - as with all conversions, it's about forgetting what a bit is or is meant to do and thinking "Does this look right on this model?" I've got a skaven conversion coming up next...

      Delete