Sunday 19 June 2022

Old-School Termagants 2

 This time, I've started work on the plastic termagants. They're really good models, considering that they're from 1995 or so. I think they might actually be better-sculpted than the metal versions, although of course you don't get the same variety of poses (although the heads are separate and can be turned or angled as needed). 

One interesting thing about these models - well, interesting if you're me, and not even very interesting - is that they came with special bases. The models had little pegs on their feet instead of the usual slot, and the bases had tiny holes for the pegs. Strange. Perhaps inevitably, my pegs broke. 

Unlike orks, Imperial Guard and other horde armies, tyranids don't have clothes or a lot of gear to carry, and so just a few colours are enough to make a decent go of the whole model. Given that they're cannon fodder, this seems fair on the player/painter.



There's another reason why I have considerable fondness for these old models. When my first novel, Space Captain Smith came out, the publisher, Myrmidon Books, commissioned a cover from the illustrator Angelo Rinaldi. He depicted Smith standing like a Victorian hunter over one of the giant space ants who are the villains in the novel. It's a really cool picture. I didn't imagine the space ants - they're called Ghasts in the story - to look like old termagants, but there's an inevitable resemblance!




4 comments:

  1. More great termagants! Reds and blues, hell yes! Also love that they tie into your novels. They are sort of Ant aliens. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really thought about it before but termagants are very ant-like! I'm really liking the bright colours, and the contrast paint works very well for it. I suspect that you've got to be a really good painter to pull off the Giger-style dark colours, and this is much easier!

      Delete
  2. Oh, pretty nice! I had these and also had the same problem with the pegs, haha! Hmm, space ants... Space termag-ants... Hmmm, coincidence? I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pegs were a brilliant idea that just wasn't going to work!

      Delete