Wednesday 11 September 2024

Eldar War Walker

 Right then, back to "schedule"! I've been slowly building and painting an old metal Eldar war walker. These rather odd machines are basically walking artillery for the Eldar, like a souped-up version of the Imperial Guard's sentinel. They are strange, gangly and really quite hard to assemble.

This one came with a slightly broken right leg: the hoof had been cut off and the rear "claw" (it's quite hard to know how to describe these things) was missing entirely. I made a new one out of green stuff and plasticard.






A small nerdy point: this model is a mixture of parts from the first two incarnations of the war walker. The pilot is from the first release, as seen in the blue Citadel catalogue, but the guns are scatter lasers from the second version, as seen in the earliest Eldar codex. They are also some of the coolest weapons in the whole of Warhammer. Space elf rotary cannons. Yeah.

Anyhow, it got the standard Craftworld Zandros paint scheme (as made up by me), to match the other mechs and Guardians. 







Definitely a strange model, but one that I quite like at the end of the day - even if it was a pain to assemble!

6 comments:

  1. Love it! The economy of the repeated parts in the Eldar range is fascinating.

    I have one of the "new" ones on my desk (I think they are about 18 years old now!) and one of these days it will get painted.

    I hope my painting is a smooth as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The use of the same bits to make different machines is pretty clever. I really like the design of old Eldar stuff. I'll get around to my old avatar someday.

      18 years?! Wow, now I feel old! Thanks about the painting!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, 40k changes so fast... it certainly is not the years piling on!

      Delete
    3. Oh, definitely! It's not like I'm old or anything!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love how you repaired the leg and the whole result!

    ReplyDelete