Wednesday 3 November 2021

A Break From The Goblins

 Being a bit sick of coffee stirrers and painting things brown, I thought I'd paint something else for a break. First, I painted a conversion, which uses the body of the old metal Mouth of Sauron model from the Lord of the Rings. It came without a head and a sword, which were provided by a dark eldar and an Empire bit respectively. I chose a smaller base to emphasise the model's height - which saved time, as I sculpted a base of cobblestones out of green stuff.

I decided on a red and gold colour scheme, partly because I wanted it to look different to the base model and partly because I thought it would look strange and cool. I used purple and green as shading colours on the red robes, and both green and chestnut inks on the armour, which was a new technique for me. Here he (or she, or it) is:





Some time ago, I got in touch with the nice people at Warlord Games, and asked if it was possible to buy some of the gun crew from the Gates of Antares Freeborn range without the expensive guns. It generally isn't, but very kindly they fished some out and I was able to pay for them separately. I got those models because they looked a lot like the Fremen from Dune. I thought I'd paint a couple.






3 comments:

  1. Love the conversion! The parts look like they fit perfectly, and the colors look spot on! The gun crew is great too. I could see uses for them in quite a few games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysterious, charming character, I like what you did. The same goes for the gun crew; I had seen them and also considered they were more interesting sculpts than the guns themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys - I agree that the Antares crewmen look better than the guns, which are pretty generic. I've been persuaded to play D&D, so think the red-robed character might end up getting used for that, as some kind of wizardy type.

    ReplyDelete