Saturday 30 December 2023

Introspective Retrospective 2023

 So, 2023 comes to an end. It's been a fairly drab one here in the UK, and hopefully 2024 will be an improvement. I've had a busy time making models this year, and here are the highlights.

For me, 2023's big project has been retro Eldar. I've painted a lot of models, including some great Jes Goodwin metal miniatures. I went for colours inspired by old, trippy science fiction, especially the pictures of Moebius, Chris Foss and Roger Dean.

Here are some vehicles.


Converted "Vitriol" skimmers


Converted jetbike squad

Wave Serpent


Another Wave Serpent


And some infantry:

Scouts

Fire Dragons

Swooping Hawks


Harlequins


And a couple of oddities, which aren't GW models but still work for the Eldar:

Not a Grynx

Not a Farseer


*


So, that's the Eldar. I also did some other models. I painted a rather stoned-looking dragon that I'd had knocking around for ages:




I also made a couple of gangs for Mordheim:

Heavily-converted Sisters of Sigmar

Marienberger mercenaries


But really, I save the silliest for last. I made a model of the Black Beast of Aaargh from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Most of it was sculpted by me, except the head.





*

The final thing isn't a model at all. It's a book called Legion of Bones, the third in my fantasy trilogy Dark Renaissance. It's a tale of murder and intrigue, set against a massive uprising by a horde of undead. All three of my fantasy novels are available HERE  - trust me, I'm a much better writer than I am a painter.





So it's been quite a busy year. I'm pleased with the progress I've made in painting. Eldar are rather unforgiving models, and require a "clean" painting style that I find tricky. I've really enjoyed painting them, and making the kind of army that I would have really liked to own thirty years ago!

Here's my favourite model of this year, the leader of the converted Vitriol squad. I hope you have a very happy new year, and lots of enjoyment and success with your models in 2024. 

Cheers!


Toby.





3 comments:

  1. Happy new year!

    Lovely to see it all in one post like that. What do you have planned for 2024?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you too! I'm planning more of the same, really. There's going to be more Tyranids and more Eldar. I'm hoping to do a unit of Dragon Knights, and then... I'm not sure, but I'll come up with something!

      Delete
    2. The nice thing about Eldar is that there quite a lot of them, particularly if you are willing to blend old and new and make your own units!

      Delete