Wednesday 21 June 2023

Mordheim Chaos Redux

 I'm still feeling rough, but I've been able to do a lot more painting. A while ago, I painted and converted a group of chaos cultists for the Mordheim "Cult of the Possessed" warband. I thought I'd tidy them up a bit and make them look nicer - at least, as tidy and nice as people who worship the Chaos gods can be.

I wanted to add two new archers to the warband. The first was made out of a Frostgrave soldier model, with a masked head from a 40k chaos cultist. This was pretty simple, and I like the contrast between the tattered, simple clothes and the shiny mask with its fancy horns.

The second archer was more complex. A while back, I bought a bunch of broken metal chaos models off Ebay. One of them was an archer in a big straw hat (possibly fur) and vaguely samurai-type armour made of lots of little metal plates. I think he might have started out as either an orc or some sort of hobgoblin. His shoes are huge, like a clown's, but that might just the the style of sculpting back then.

Anyhow, he was missing his face and the upper half of his bow. I found a suitable replacement bow from a broken plastic goblin, but the face was harder. Eventually, I turned up an old plastic zombie head and chopped it down to size. It looked pretty goofy, but then the metal body was a bit cartoony. 



They were painted in the colours of the cult - mainly leather, old metal, drab green and bright red. Here the archers are next to a musketeer, who was converted from a 40k chaos cultist.




Next are two possessed monstrosities. The guy on the right is based on a genestealer aberrant, and the one on the right is some sort of Nurgle champion, possibly the Glottkin one. I think he's got replacement arms and head. Nice. I just neatened the painting on these guys a little.



Then we've got the rank and file, all made from slightly broken metal chaos warriors. These two were nearly intact: the chap on the left was missing his sword, and the one on the right came without a left arm and shield. Replacements were provided by Khorne bloodletters and some left-over chaos warrior bits. I love the brightly-coloured armour.



They are supported by two axe-waving loons. The axeman on the left was in a right state when I bought him. I gave him a new left arm and weapon, and a new peg-leg.

The guy on the right was a newer champion from the chunky middlehammer period. He only needed a plastic shield and a new axe. I don't like this model as much as the others, but he'll do.





And then to round out the group, here are Hrug the Brute and Grut Manbasher, two charming beastmen. 




And that's the whole foul warband. Well, except for the Magister, the fighter/wizard who leads them into battle. Unfortunately, I'm still working on his model, which is due a complete repaint, so here's a picture of the horde led by a renegade warlock.




Not a club I would like to join!











No comments:

Post a Comment