Monday 9 May 2022

Skaven With Knives and Slings

 It's sometimes said that you can never have enough skaven, although probably only by skaven. Here are two more nasty little rat-men, up to no good.




The one on the left is an unconverted metal miniature. He's a gutter runner from the early 1990s, and compared to the other models he's rather chunky. Not that that's a problem: he probably just ate a few of his comrades. The position of his knives is a bit strange, to me, but I'm not a ninja rat, so what do I know?

The guy on the right is the finished version of the model I started last week. His upper body is a plastic night runner, from the boxed set. The lower body is sculpted from green stuff, because I ran out of bits. This was fairly easy, as sculpting goes, because filthy draped cloth covers a lot of sins.




To make this, I first cut a piece of sprue about the right height, and glued it to the base. I actually used a bit that was too short, which compelled me to make him with bent legs. Then I made some flat sheets of green stuff and draped them around the sprue post to make the skirt-type thing he's wearing. I added a tail made of rolled green stuff and some claws sticking out the bottom. His belt was another rolled tube that I flattened into a strip.

The main thing about this is that all the shapes involved were pretty simple, and little actual sculpting was involved. I pressed a sculpting tool into the green stuff to make some folds in his robe, and added two balls of green stuff to the base to represent metal balls that he's about to hurl with his sling. Then it was just a matter of sticking the model together and painting it. There's not much to say about the painting except that I put stripes on the slinger's tail to imitate the segments that GW sculpts on the skaven tails.




No idea what I'll paint next!


6 comments:

  1. Cool-cool rat thing-things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how that rat with the skirt came out. Both look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've really been enjoying these models. They're old, but they still work!

      Delete
  3. What to paint next? Why, more Skaven of course ;) Nice work on the conversion, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another skaven is currently being converted! Thanks - I've enjoyed painting these guys.

      Delete