Tuesday 17 May 2022

A pirate captain and a lowly Skaven

Once again, I've been digging in the box of random stuff that I never got around to painting. This time, I found a Black Scorpion model called Esmerelda. She's a pirate captain, as her attire suggests. 

I enjoyed painting this model, although it was very detailed and some of the stuff around her waist - a pistol, as it happens - was actually quite hard to make out. I tried to paint the coat in a mock-leather technique, to make it look old and battered. She seems to be wearing a tabard of some kind, maybe made out of a slit dress, which I painted red. That tended to draw the eye away from her face, so I painted her hat and feather in suitably ostentatious colours.




This being a Black Scorpion model, the sculpting is excellent. However, I had trouble getting the colours to look really bright, which has happened to me with their stuff before. Still, I'm happy with the results.

*

Time for another skaven. This chap was in with a group of models I bought a while back. I think he's an old metal Blood Bowl model, but someone had drilled out his right hand, presumably to put a weapon in it. In the process, they'd taken some of the detail off his hand and arm, so I added some green stuff and tried to resculpt it.




The knife came from the excellent Frostgrave Female Wizards set: it was one of the few small enough to fit this guy. He looks suitably nasty and underhanded. I painted him to fit the other members of the warband: I reckon he's pretty junior and disposable, even by skaven standards.




 Incidentally, this week I loaded up the old computer game Mordheim: City of the Damned on my PC. I really wanted to like it (I've greatly enjoyed bashing skaven in Vermintide in the past). Unfortunately, it was unintuitive and extremely difficult. After the computer arbitrarily wiped out half my squad in one turn, I deleted it. Life's too short for that. There's a moral here: you're better off with miniatures!

4 comments:

  1. That rat! It looks like it's ready to strike from the shadows. Really like how your pirate came out too. Great color choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever owned him before me definitely had that plan too! I really enjoyed painting the pirate. I'm on another Black Scorpion model now. Their sculpting is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Sweet, sweet work. The pirate is most fabulous, but the reconstruction work on the Skaven is ace. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber! They were both really enjoyable models to paint, for different reasons. I would really recommend Black Scorpion's line of models, provided that you don't mind working with resin.

      Delete