Wednesday 30 September 2020

Big Guys For Mordgrave (or Frostheim)

The new Blood Bowl teams include a lot of very good sculpts. I bought the ogre team, mainly for converting the four ogres, but also because it comes with a load of gnoblars who might be useful for something later on (probably as a larger monster's lunch).

One of the ogres looks like this:


I decided to convert him into a mercenary for Mordheim, or Frostgrave. This involved giving him an Empire greatsword, a hand from a Fantasy Battle ogre and a shield from a Sigmarine. All the rest of him came off the Blood Bowl sprue. I hadn't realised that Blood Bowl models seem to be smaller than the usual size, but it didn't really matter in the long run. The ogre got a crest left over from some Empire scenery, and was ready to run amok in the mean streets of the city. I gave him quite a jolly colour scheme.


And from slightly higher up...


*

Last year sometime, I bought a rather battered Warhammer Glotkin and converted it into a Chaos Knight. I was left with the two Nurgle champions who ride the Glotkin, neither of them in a complete state. The soldier guy was missing a foot and some other bits, so I did some converting. He got a new head off a Plaguebearer, and new weapons from a savage orc and an ogre. The peg leg was just a bit of sprue.


Here he is with paint.



I'm not generally a big Nurlgle person (I'm smaller and less plague-ridden) but I like the skin effect, which is done by working up from a red undercoat. He can join the less-hideous members of the chaos warband, wobbling along behind them. Perhaps he is the ogre's arch enemy.

5 comments:

  1. Works surprisingly well to just paint his torso as cloth. Good conversion on him.

    Some BB are much larger than regular warhammer. Like the humans, huge compared to even old 28mm empire (that were bigger than the latest dudes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disgustingly grotesque and therefore very commendable work Toby. There is something of the Blanchitsu about your converting and painting. I’d not be able to tell that most of the models were not designed the way you end up finishing them if that sentence makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disgustingly grotesque and therefore very commendable work Toby. There is something of the Blanchitsu about your converting and painting. I’d not be able to tell that most of the models were not designed the way you end up finishing them if that sentence makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left off that I filed his nipples off! The scale was a surprise, but I can see why they'd make the ogres smaller, just to fit them on the right bases. Strange that the humans are so big, though.

    I've got to admit, there is something satisfying about converting a model from one system to be in another! I'll take the Blanchitsu reference as a compliment - I've seen some excellent conversions in that style. I think that sentence made sense - at least to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! They look... dangerous.

    ReplyDelete