Friday 6 January 2017

Pointless Scratchbuild Challenge Pt 1

Happy New Year!

Many years ago, there was a person on the internet called Puremon, who made ork robots out of plasticard. Making an ork robot is fairly easy, but Puremon, whoever he/she/they might have been, was a genius when it came to scratch-building. (Puremon also had a blog called Ork Machine Index, which is a great name for an industrial band). It seems impossible to link to their work, but Googling "Puremon Ork" will bring up some examples.


It takes a lot of skill and time to build something really good - much more than I have of either. However, I thought that it would be interesting to try to make a robot purely out of the junk I had knocking around on my desk. So, instead of being a conversion of one model kit, or a new model out of spliced-together kits, it would be something totally new, hopefully incorporating no parts from any existing kits, or as close as I could get to that. Plasticard would be allowed, along with chopped up sprues and whatever else I could find lying around - but no actual model parts.


Well, today, I had a good go at making some legs for this robot/walker thing. It's early days yet, and this is both fiddly and time consuming. But here's where I am. From small things come slightly larger small things, especially when you're working in 28mm scale.



Wish me luck. I've got a long way to go, even on mechanical legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment