Sunday 25 February 2024

Another Harlequin and a Genestealer Patriarch

 

This week, I painted another harlequin. I've not done one for a while, and it was a real pleasure to be painting checks and doing bright colours again.



It occurs to me that I've collected most of the old metal harlequins from the original metal boxed set. Perhaps I should try to get the whole lot. I think that would be quite cool, and they're all excellent models.


*


I decided to have a go at bulk-painting some old plastic Space Hulk genestealers. I seem to have absolutely loads of these miniatures. Like the old plastic termagants, they're monopose models. They're really good sculpts, with lots of detail, even if they are sticking their tongues out like so many of the goofier tyranids.

I used contrast paint for the purple and blue, over a standard white undercoat. I found it quite annoying, as the damn stuff refused to cover properly. I ended up highlighting the armour and skin (somewhat roughly). I'm not sure that the contrast paint did much that a heavy wash wouldn't have done.




I also dug out a very old Genestealer Patriarch model. The patriarch is a weirdly-coloured, bloated monstrosity worshipped by deranged cultists and hell-bent on dictatorial power who, whilst foul, is merely the slave of a much greater threat to humanity. So purely a fictional creation.

While some might have made the leader of the genestealers into a bigger, meaner genestealer (as GW did later with the broodlord), the patriarch is a fat, saggy-looking creature wearing the sort of gold chain favoured by town mayors and 1980s rappers. I have no idea why, but it works in a bizarre way. To emphasise his size, I put him on a slightly raised base. 







Here's the patriarch with his identical spawn:




6 comments:

  1. Oh, these come directly from a White Dwarf, I love them!! The Harlequin is awesome, what a hell of a work! The Genstealers look menacing as they should, and that last pic with the Patriarch is simply too good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber! I'm really glad I didn't throw all these models away when I was 20 and just put them in a box instead!

      Delete
  2. Always great to have a bunch of genestealers. Great to see the big patriarch done too! He's so full of character, so the more we see of them the better! Love that harlequin though! So much intricate work. It's fantastic.

    Speaking of, shoot me a message with what quinns you need yet. Somewhere along the way I ended up with quite a pile of them. Maybe I can help out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always written off the patriarch as rather goofy but now I think he's pretty cool. The harlequins are lots of fun to do. That's really kind of you. I'll drop you a line, but I do live in the UK, so the postage might be terrible!

      Delete
  3. Superb models. I have the running patriarch on my desk right now, so your post is very inspiring for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I'm glad to have been able to inspire someone. The running patriarch is a much better miniature than I'd originally thought - good luck with the painting!

      Delete