Wednesday 24 August 2022

Lots and Lots of Eldar Gunners

 The trouble with these projects of mine is that they start off with me deciding to repaint some old models and then I buy a ton of new ones. Or new old ones. Anyhow, owing to wild enthusiasm, I've ended up with a load of Eldar gun crew. They range from dinky Rogue Trader era models to larger modern ones. I like them all.

These two guys are really old. All the pictures I've seen of them have them next to a massive and chunky D-cannon, which doesn't look Eldarish in the slightest. Anyhow, they're great models; really sci-fi and oddly elegant. They'd look appropriate in a Moebius picture or a Yes album cover. I think the more recent Eldar have lost a lot of the simple sleekness of the old metal sculpts.



Next up are two more recent crewmen. I think they're specifically from a bigger mounted gun. They've got odd antennae. You can see what I mean about the armour becoming bulkier: the sculpting is nice, but they're less elegant (and they've still got a crap armour save). I didn't make a great job of the bare-headed guy's face, but otherwise the armour has come out pretty well, for me.



And finally, here's an absolutely wacky dude from the strange days of Rogue Trader. This chap has taken time out from playing bass for The Damned to operate the weird organic aiming device sprouting from his shoulders. I like the idea that Eldar field crew might be a bunch of random types who show up wearing whatever they like. 



And here they all are - apart from the two plastic gunners who came with the plastic set. I just need to make some guns for them! Maybe I should get on ebay again...





7 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You are giving a nice touch to them with those colours, I love this project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased I chose this (somewhat random) colour scheme!

      Delete
  2. It is interesting how the newer guys (from ~2000) fit in relatively well sizewise with the original guys, where as the RT figures are smaller.

    I rather like how the original crew figures look like they are actually working a cannon, where as all the subsequent figures are either standing around, or driving a drone or something. (pointing guy a rare exception)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it does feel a bit odd that the psychic space elves are literally pointing a big gun, Waterloo style, but the poses are more interesting when they're literally working the guns. I think it was established somewhere around 2000 that eldar are a bit taller than humans, and all the other figures have had to fit into that as gradually released. I suspect the old metal aspect warriors will look very small compared to the plastic guardians!

      Delete
    2. They do indeed! Particularly those that were on the smaller size to start with, like swooping hawks. (minus the wings obviously)

      Delete
  3. Man, I've collected too many of these guys... but I've started repurposing them! The oldest guys are great, but there's something about the second gen with the coats. They are the ones I keep using for other projects. Great job on them all! I really love the coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I really like the idea of the gunners showing up in leather jackets and trench coats. The colouring was a pretty random decision but I'm very pleased with how it came out. It was originally meant to reflect some corsair conversions I did a while back but I think it works fine on its own.

      Delete