Sunday 16 January 2022

Farcical Aquatic Ceremony

 Sometimes, going back and improving an old conversion is just as satisfying as making a new one from scratch. A couple of years ago, I made a ghost for a Dark Age of Sigmar project that didn't really go anywhere. It was based on a West Wind vampire, with a swirly base from a High Elf mage. It was okay.


Bottom middle, unsurprisingly

I went back to the project and decided to turn her into the Lady of the Lake for no very good reason. There's an old bit of Brettonian artwork, where the lady is rising from the water, one hand out. Like this:




It's slightly crazy, and she does look as if she's surfing, but that's Warhammer for you. Anyhow, I gave the vampire a new head from Statuesque Miniatures, and a sword. I tried to do some more sculpting to get her to fit with the High Elf column of air (now water) part.

A while back I made some Chaos models using the upper and lower body parts of the Firebrand guy in the Chaos Cultists set. I was left with a twiddly piece that represents fire billowing out of his flamer. I'm not a big fan of sculpted "special effects" on miniatures, but I thought it could work as her hair, maybe turning solid as it forms from the water. So that went on. Here is the WIP:








The painting was tricky. I'd tried to sculpt some ripples in the water. I considered all sorts of methods for making the water work, but at the end of the day I ended up using paint and varnish. It worked, although perhaps it could have worked slightly better. 

I think the model could do with some more reeds. The camera has washed her out somewhat (ironically, given that she lives in a lake) but here she is, about to perform a farcical aquatic ceremony. Remember, comrades, true power derives from a mandate from the people.







She will be absolutely useless in any game I've got, but what the heck, it was an entertaining model to make.






2 comments:

  1. I simply love the conversion. Wonderful spotting of the raw materials and great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers dude! It was something of a lucky find really!

    ReplyDelete