Wednesday 16 June 2021

When Turnips Turn Bad

 This is going to be the last post in the Turnip 28 project for a little while (probably). After all, man cannot live on turnips alone. I thought I'd make a few monsters for the batch of soldiers to fight. It seems to be a rule that the animals of the Turnip world are manky and squalid, and I wanted to incorporate the root veg theme into these strange, mutated beings.

So, what better than to make men turning into turnips, or possibly turnips turning into men?

Our first specimen was made from a Perry body and right arm, with an old chaos hound tail as a left arm. and a skull for a head. Green stuff was used to make the head more turnip-like, along with a trimmed-down Army Painter swamp tuft glued to the top.




The second turnipoid is also based on a Perry model, with a Mantic zombie head that I enlarged with green stuff. The branches coming out of his back were cut from a plastic GW dryad, many years ago.




Specimen three was made from a Mantic zombie. All I did was to replace the head with a ball of green stuff with another tuft stuck on top. Strangely creepy, for a vegetable.




Our fourth turnip-monster started life as a GW Blood Bowl Nurgle player. I left the head off and smoothed over the rotting stomach with clay. Because he was so big, he got an entire swamp tuft instead of a head.





And with paint...




Here's a group shot.




9 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work, some of the best you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much guys! (Also, the darker pictures help to hide the mistakes!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoho, these are inspired! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I must admit, I'm pretty pleased with the static grass on the heads. One of those "What if I try this?" moments that happen to work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another couple of excellent additions to your expanding line of root veg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn man, those are ace. I love that guy with the open mouth, red jacket, and no eyes. Great!!!

    ReplyDelete