Sunday 2 July 2023

Basic Rusty Necron Warriors

 I've been doing quite a complex conversion on a troll, involving some sculpting, and I really felt like painting something simple without much detail. So, I got hold of some of the new Necron warriors and decided to paint them in a basic, rusty style. 

The new warriors are quite an improvement on the old warrior models, but that's not surprising. The old warriors were very dated and limited models. The new ones are miles better, and have a battered, wonky look suggestive of zombies. It's a shame that they're not aiming their weapons, but they still look decent.

The models I got were allegedly push-fit miniatures. Like most of the push-fit GW models I've assembled, this is nonsense. Pushing these together would be extremely fiddly and might well result in them breaking. Instead I cut off a lot of the pins and used glue to assemble them.





Painting was very simple. I undercoated them black, then put on dark brown to suggest a layer of tarnished metal. I mixed brown and red and blobbed it on in parts to represent rust. Spots of orange and yellow were added to the rust. Then I put Boltgun Metal (or the equivalent) on a sponge and gently added it to the metal, to represent scratched, exposed metal.

The guns were simply grey highlighted with white and washed with thinned-down brown. The eyes were painted green, with white pupils. I used some weathering powder on the lower legs: I expect these guys have been wandering around for a while.

I'm not going to win Gold Demon with these models anytime soon, but they aren't bad. These techniques produce an effective result for not much effort. I might add some more detailing later, but part of the point of these was that they would be quick and simple, and I think they're best left like that.




2 comments:

  1. There's something about rusty Necrons that make them so appealing. I've always thought that, if I ever started a Necron force, I would take your path. So consider your work as my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not difficult to paint and there's almost no detail required unless you want to add some more. They were quick to make and quite satisfying, so give it a go!

      Delete