And now for something completely different.
I've had a lot of robot bits lying around, for quite a while. I bought some cheap Gundam kits when I made my big Tau walker (see here) and I had some bits left over from a Warmachine conversion that just wouldn't hold together.
I know nothing about Gundam models. They all look rather too much like people for my tastes: I prefer walkers with dinosaur-style legs and boxy bodies. Still, the legs and arms could work well, if I replaced the body and head. I used what seems to be the most classic Gundam robot, which has a white body and red and blue sections. Maybe it's the hero of the franchise. Anyhow, it provided the limbs.
The upper body came from the Warmachine conversion, and the gun was a 40k piece. Having put the basic model together, I added details with all sorts of random bits, including tank parts, Lego, pipes left over from an Imperial Knight, and plasticard sections designed to make it less sleek and more industrial. I wanted to tie the different sections of the model together, and to hide the somewhat crude joints on the Gundam model.
The head is a 40k sensor, with a lower jaw made from plasticard. I like the way that it juts forward. I imagine that it can retreat into the main body. Here is the unpainted body (without head):
When it came to painting, I didn't want the robot to look too medieval or tied to any particular system. I went for a fairly industrial off-white, which could be chipped and shaded to look suitably used and grubby. I added a few bits of colour for interest, and just about resisted the urge to paint hazard stripes all over it. After all those Bretonnian knights, it was quite nice to paint dirty metal again.
The arm is jointed so that the gun can be raised and aimed. Otherwise, it's static.
There we go. I should make more robots. They're always fun projects. I'm quite tempted by some of the GW Horus Heresy robots, but I've got enough stuff to be getting on with right now. As ever!





No comments:
Post a Comment