Monday 11 March 2024

Great Big Tyranid Bug (and bonus eggs)

 Hello again! I've been painting some more tyranids this week. It's interesting to paint a brand new tyranid model in my oldhammer colour scheme.

This is a psychophage, apparently. As one of the interchangeable idiots in Starship Troopers puts it, it's some kind of big smart bug. I reckon half the world must own one of these kits by now, as ebay is full of them going cheaply. 

It was a push-together GW kit, which is another way of saying that it didn't push together. It was also a right pain to paint, as simply getting at most of the model was really hard. I'm glad that I painted a lot of it on the sprue. 

The painting was fairly simple - Flesh Tearers Red contrast paint over a white undercoat, and a thin wash of Leviathan Purple in the recesses. Good as contrast paints can be, I don't think that's enough for the skin of a big monster, and so I added red and highlighted in the normal way as well.

I really like the way that he's got a severed arm in his tentacles. There are some really nice details on this chap, but they're not excessive.






I also dug out these eggs that I made from DAS clay and green stuff about 15 years ago. I gave them a repaint and put them on flatter bases. Goodness knows what function they'd have in a game, but they're nice enough.


I also painted some tyranid rippers, but for some reason I just can't get a decent photo of the damned things. So you'll just have to imagine them. Sorry!



4 comments:

  1. That is a cool model, and I of course love the oldschool paintjob on it! You've got me thinking of picking one up now. Would make for a good beast in one of the skirmish games we're looking to play: Majestic 13, the Doomed, etc.

    The eggs are great! I'd use them as objective markers or something. Biological samples?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are quite cool models, and I'm sure they could be converted to make a different monster, or one of those Starship Troopers bugs that fires plasma from its butt.

      I'm not sure what the eggs are for. I can't remember why I made them all those years ago! They would be good objectives, or cover, or maybe spore mine tokens?

      Delete
  2. Eeeeek! I'm scared with a good reason! Great job, seriously

    ReplyDelete